A total lack of situational awareness.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I exclusively warm water dive travel these days and rarely encounter “destructive” divers (the only ones I care about). I guess I dive with a better class of twatwaffle. (Word of the day) :bounce::bounce::bounce:
I don't boat dive that often in tropical destinations, but what I saw in Belize horrified me.

I only see incompetent divers when I dive with other people.
I see it even when I dove solo.
Difference is I see the issues I have, and am working on them.
No delusion that I am perfect. I have issues. Working on having less of them.

Now those that don't know they have problems... Or willing to admit that they are not perfect...

How do you teach situational awareness in a two or three day course?
"What is my cylinder pressure?"
"Where is my buddy?"
"How deep am I?"
"Have I hit min gas?"
"Where is my exit?"

That's where I start. I recommend Human Factors in diving mini courses as a next step.

I'm open to suggestions on how I can improve.

"What is my cylinder pressure?"
"Where is my buddy?"
"How deep am I?"
"Have I hit min gas?"
"Where is my exit?"

That's where I start. I recommend Human Factors in diving mini courses as a next step.

I'm open to suggestions on how I can improve.
Yep! For my open water dives I had a set turn around gas level and checked my gauge regularly. It’s now a habit. I’m always watching to ensure I can see my buddy, and watch my depth with my computer.
Instill good habits in training, and divers will carry them forever.

Yep! For my open water dives I had a set turn around gas level and checked my gauge regularly. It’s now a habit. I’m always watching to ensure I can see my buddy, and watch my depth with my computer.
Instill good habits in training, and divers will carry them forever.
Just curious did you learn about min/rock bottom gas?

Back
Top Bottom