A tale of two cylinders

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scared Silly

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
It was the best of dives, it was the worst of dives...

So the above has nothing to do with my question but I thought the title was catchy. The Mrs. would like to have a set doubles for herself for some of our deeper longer ocean dives as well as for a little cavern poking around. At 5'4" and around 125lbs she has used some larger cylinders - 95s found the mass to be too much. I was thinking about having her try some LP85s but then noticed these LP80s. Which look similar to Al80s but are less weight. If one were to add 3.5 lbs to the 80s they would have the same buoyancy characterists. I do not really think the extra .5" (or really 1" when doubled) or the reduction of 5/10cuft would make much of a difference.

So what else would folks take into consideration? Below are the specs from Faber:

2640 80cuft 7.5" dia 25" 27lbs +3.5empty -3.5full $180
2400 +10% 85cuft 7.0" dia 26" 31lbs 0empty -6.7full $200-$275

(Worthingtons are less but weigh 3 lbs more).

LP80s are a good idea. HP80s are very short and put too much weight up high on almost everyone. So go for the LPs, they trim out great on the vast majority of small to medium sized people. If she's too head heavy you may need to go with an AL plate, but that's an easy+cheap switch.

I'm almost exactly the same size as your wife, and I'm diving a set of LP 85s on a Al backplate and I'm happy as a clam.

TSandM:
I'm almost exactly the same size as your wife, and I'm diving a set of LP 85s on a Al backplate and I'm happy as a clam.

Another vote for the LP85/HP100's. My wife is 5'4" and loves her's. She uses a transpac though.

I added one more variable into the mix. Price. The LP80 are $20-$100 less than the LP85s. Until I saw the price on the LP80s the LP85 were the cylinder of choice. Does that change anything for anyone?

Lynn et al. are you using Fabers or Worthingtons?? Faber are more $$ but weigh 3lbs less than the Worthingtons.

I just tried a set of Faber LP 85s and they are sweet. They trim as well as AL80s and hold a bunch more gas (we have no problem getting "good" fills where I live).

I have to say, I'm not a fan of painted tanks though and when I buy, I'll likely buy Worthington galvanized 85s (they are 7.25, not 7.00 diameter like the Fabers though).

David P:
how about a pair of HP 80? they're nice and small

I agree, I am about the same size as your wife. I've been using HP 80s for years, my doubles are HP80s my singles are HP80s... They work great for me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom