A somewhat sad conversation last night

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As with so many other things in GUE, I suspect everybody's too busy diving and teaching to clean up the website :)

As with so many other things in GUE, I suspect everybody's too busy diving and teaching to clean up the website :)

Whatever! They are just internet divers. LOL....

But is it really necessary to avoid DIR, it's part of the history, I'd rather see work been done to clean the image of DIR, and it IS being done

Or just don't get wrapped up in a marketing slogan.

I don't care if you're DIR, DIW, DIY or DICE ... just don't be a DICK ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

GUE has DIR written all over it. They have done nothing to distance themselves from it. Someone in probably less than an hour could clean up the website and start helping to change peoples opinions of what I feel is some of the best scuba related training out there.

Feel free to count how many times the DIR term is used on this page Evolution of DIR Principles | Global Underwater Explorers

View attachment 123768View attachment 123769

The stigma will only go away when the term DIR goes away. No matter how you feel about it, the words have been written and the labels have been cast. Remove the words, and you remove the labels. Change can happen... it's just not likely too.

This smacks of Revisionism. Changing history for whatever reason, is just wrong.

Hey, they let me take a class. How elite does that make them? Not very much unfortunately. What's the matter with a bit of bravado now and then? Do kids grow up wanting to be Army Special Forces or base supply clerks/cooks? Someone is going to be number one!

NWGratefulDiver:
Or just don't get wrapped up in a marketing slogan.

I don't care if you're DIR, DIW, DIY or DICE ... just don't be a DICK ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

DWI & DUI being the exception. They are not terribly popular badges to have earned.

Scott L:
Hey, they let me take a class. How elite does that make them? Not very much unfortunately. What's the matter with a bit of bravado now and then? Do kids grow up wanting to be Army Special Forces or base supply clerks/cooks? Someone is going to be number one!
I too found GUE very welcoming to a non DIR focused diver, just interested in expanding his skill base.
I heard nothing from them 1/2 as negative than I have heard fans of other styles of dive training use towards any other agencies and styles.

DWI & DUI being the exception. They are not terribly popular badges to have earned.

... except on your drysuit ... :wink:

I have a cap that says DUI Test Diver on the front. I was wearing it one day when a state trooper pulled me over on I-5 ... should've seen the look on his face when he saw it ... he thought it said DUI Test Driver ... :shocked2:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

This smacks of Revisionism. Changing history for whatever reason, is just wrong.
Are you serious? Just in the American history is there nothing you wouldn't re-write? Like say slavery? Indian wars? Anyway you can't change history, you can only change the future.

I can understand those that had a part in founding the whole thing wanting to stick by the term DIR. Make sure it is for the right reasons though and that it is not going to hurt your cause down the road. What if simply changing a phrase or name would gain another 10% following, would it be worth it then?

Reality is I could careless, I just don't use the term DIR to describe how I dive, so others don't perceive me in a "certain way". I do like Scott's idea of being the "Number One Diver" though :wink:

Are you serious? Just in the American history is there nothing you wouldn't re-write? Like say slavery? Indian wars? Anyway you can't change history, you can only change the future.

I can understand those that had a part in founding the whole thing wanting to stick by the term DIR. Make sure it is for the right reasons though and that it is not going to hurt your cause down the road. What if simply changing a phrase or name would gain another 10% following, would it be worth it then?

Reality is I could careless, I just don't use the term DIR to describe how I dive, so others don't perceive me in a "certain way". I do like Scott's idea of being the "Number One Diver" though :wink:
American history is a great example of revisionism. The civil War had almost nothing to do with what is currently taught....just for example.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom