a retreat from DIR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Some might not consider it a disadvantage; then again others might.

When I say "keeping the end in mind", I'm talking about the exploration divers who carry all the gear. On these dives, they have likely found the right hand to be not as optimal as the left when scootering and carrying multiple stages. Small things add up to big differences to these teams. From what I know, many of these guys did carry the light in the left hand and wrap the cord in the past. This being as late as the later part of the 90's from my conversations with some of the early DIR trained divers.

From my own observations I can think of a couple of problems right off the bat that make right hand less than optimal (IMO) for scootering.

One is the passive comminucation is not a steady as the left hand when scootering. Try putting the light beam where it should be and trying to steer a scooter at the same time.

Another that can be a problem with scooters is the glare off the body if you have the light in the right hand. It can be quite annoying not having the light head out in front where there should be less glare.

I won't go into the air share complication if one is on a scooter, but I would certainly feel better not having both in my right hand when one happens and I need to donate.

Dive-aholic:
I don't think it's a matter of advantage or disadvantage, rather a matter of preference. It's the way I learned. It's the way my cave instructor (who has some 1500 cave dives) configures his gear. I've read the DIR left hand configuration, but just never saw a problem with the right hand configuration.

aquaoren:
Well, I somehow bet he didn't consider it an issue either. :wink:
I guess he just didn't study how to become DIR on the internet and lacked knowledge and experience. :D

By your very same logic we should stow the long hose instead of wrapping it over the neck right? A wrapped light cord is no more dangerous than a clipped regulator. Remember, we are talking loose wrapped, not tied or secured.

H2Andy:
well, after thinking about this for a while, and trying various things out, i have decided that after about two years of diving with the standard DIR
configuration (plus computer), i will change two more things about the DIR
equipment configuration:

OMG, brave move, I'm sure the responses will be interesting.

in_cavediver:
By your very same logic we should stow the long hose instead of wrapping it over the neck right? A wrapped light cord is no more dangerous than a clipped regulator. Remember, we are talking loose wrapped, not tied or secured.
Who's wrapping their hoses around the neck? Mine is routed behind and not wrapped around, big difference. :D

Jason B:
LOL!! Get the hell off you high horse!

ScubaBoard DIR at its finest no doubt.
Maybe, but still the right answer from the DIR perspective, which is what Andy wanted to hear.
Didn't he? :wink:

I am more of a proponent for proper configuration and team management for the dive at hand. I actually subscribe to most of the DIR philosphy about team management, communications and dive planning. I just don't subscribe to the same idea's in equipment configuration. (still hogarthian though)

To be honest, if I get to the point I am doing serious exploration diving, I will subscribe to the specific protocol developed for the project. Until then, while I am recreationally diving caves, I want my equipment configuration to work with the dives I do. I don't scooter. At this point, I am a lot more interesed in some of the smaller and less visited passages closer to the opening than I am in finding the end of line. Scooters can be nice but by the time I would get one, I'd be diving a CCR.

Now, I will ask again. Is there a reason for the left hand other than scootering? I am not dismissing scootering as its a valid reason. Just is there another?

Dan Gibson:
Some might not consider it a disadvantage; then again others might.

When I say "keeping the end in mind", I'm talking about the exploration divers who carry all the gear. On these dives, they have likely found the right hand to be not as optimal as the left when scootering and carrying multiple stages. Small things add up to big differences to these teams. From what I know, many of these guys did carry the light in the left hand and wrap the cord in the past. This being as late as the later part of the 90's from my conversations with some of the early DIR trained divers.

From my own observations I can think of a couple of problems right off the bat that make right hand less than optimal (IMO) for scootering.

One is the passive comminucation is not a steady as the left hand when scootering. Try putting the light beam where it should be and trying to steer a scooter at the same time.

Another that can be a problem with scooters is the glare off the body if you have the light in the right hand. It can be quite annoying not having the light head out in front where there should be less glare.

I won't go into the air share complication if one is on a scooter, but I would certainly feel better not having both in my right hand when one happens and I need to donate.

aquaoren:
I can tell you though that if you'd blind me with your light in your right hand while donating me air, you'd be in a world of pain once I can see again. :wink:
Concerning the SPG... Well, I'm a strong believer that you shouldn't try to replace skills with a new equipment configuration, YMMV. :D
Oh, you wanted DIR answers, then please disregard my post.

Oh course, I wouldn't want to dive with anyone whose skills were so bad he needed air donated, then paid it back with a "world of pain".:D
I haven't taken fundies, so I just have to assume that is somewhere in the book.

Oh, wow! I can talk about DIR in this forum!

I somehow can imagine myself how Andy is sitting infront of the computer and giggling about this thread. :D

aquaoren:
Who's wrapping their hoses around the neck? Mine is routed behind and not wrapped around, big difference. :D

No really. Its wrapped as much as my light cord ever is. Lets see, comes from the right side, behind the neck with the primary in the mouth. At least 3/4 turn around the neck. Seems wrapped to me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom