a retreat from DIR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Seeing that we live in a democracy (most of the time at least), you are entiteled to do whatever works for you.
I can tell you though that if you'd blind me with your light in your right hand while donating me air, you'd be in a world of pain once I can see again. :wink: I never had any issues with the light cord catching on to something, so I'll keep it in the left hand.
Concerning the SPG... Well, I'm a strong believer that you shouldn't try to replace skills with a new equipment configuration, YMMV. :D
Oh, you wanted DIR answers, then please disregard my post.

TSandM:
How do you deal with the excess length with the light in the right hand? Do you wrap it around your forearm? That's always seemed awkward to me, and maybe even risky. And if you have to air-share, aren't you going to blind your buddy -- particularly bad deal in a cave, I would think.

I dive with my light predominatly in my right hand. At different time, I will either use my left hand or drape the light head around my neck. I go with the flow as needed such as when running a reel. When I carry the lighthead on the right (which is most of the dive), I give it a simple loop around my forarm or tuck the excess cord in under the waist belt. Its a lot easier for me to drop stages/deco bottles without a light on/in your hand. (I don't care for a goodman handle much either. Personal preference)

I figure that in an airshare event, I will either see it coming and can react appropriately or the $%# has already hit the fan and they are simply going to take my primary reg. Either case, the light wouldn't get in the way or cause an issue in the deployment of the primary. (Yes, I have tried it even with it draped around my neck)

One question I do have is for those of us who don't own scooters, what practical advantage does the left handed light offer?

Dive-aholic:
My wife and I both dive with the light head on our right hand. We practice air share all the time. Neither of us has ever had the light shine in our eyes during the exercise. I think it's probably because our hands are naturally positioned so the light is aimed above the head. If the light were aimed at your buddy's eyes, then the regulator would have the mouthpiece facing down, not towards your buddy's mouth. We wrap the cord around our right arms. This could be a risk, but I don't think it's any more risk than across the chest. As for running a reel and scootering, can't think of any issues with that either. I guess we've just adapted to keeping the light on the right.
So, you don't think it's an issue wrapping it around your arm?
Not even after reading this? http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=139719

To me (and I may change my mind as I gain more experience) having the SPG on the left hip d-ring, out of the way, makes sense because you are not supposed to even need it except as a check and should know* what it says before you even look at it (preferably at opportune, non-task loaded moments) to double check your remaining gas. on the chest it would seem to add clutter, but I haven't tried it that way. a potential, albeit costly, alternative would be to get a hoseless air integrated computer, but leave the other SPG as is.

Good questions though and I'm curious to see what people think.

* it helps if you track your average depth. :wink1:

Dive-aholic:
My wife and I both dive with the light head on our right hand. We practice air share all the time. Neither of us has ever had the light shine in our eyes during the exercise. I think it's probably because our hands are naturally positioned so the light is aimed above the head. If the light were aimed at your buddy's eyes, then the regulator would have the mouthpiece facing down, not towards your buddy's mouth. We wrap the cord around our right arms. This could be a risk, but I don't think it's any more risk than across the chest. As for running a reel and scootering, can't think of any issues with that either. I guess we've just adapted to keeping the light on the right.

We are actually taught to hand off with the mouth piece down to minimize free flows.

While scootering you are using your right hand to drive and steer the scooter, with the light on your left you can keep it in your buddies view and use it for signaling and not come off the trigger.

Running line the reel and light are in your left hand and you can tie off to different points with your right. It doesn't require any acrobatics, hand switching, to get it done.

Take that one step farther. What practical advantage does carrying it in the right hand have if you do scooter. Just remember, it's all based with the end in mind.

As for someone having problems with the light cord catching on things or extra task loading, I hate to say it because it sounds like bashing, but it begs the question if one should be in a cave if these things are a problem for the diver. These are basics that should be mastered if one cave dives. It does take practice.

in_cavediver:
One question I do have is for those of us who don't own scooters, what practical advantage does the left handed light offer?

aquaoren:
So, you don't think it's an issue wrapping it around your arm?
Not even after reading this? http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=139719

Still not an issue. I don't secure the cord under anything. All I have to do is remove the light head from my hand and it falls free. It sounds like this diver had his cord secured under his wrist computer. That would be a problem.

Dan Gibson:
Take that one step farther. What practical advantage does carrying it in the right hand have if you do scooter. Just remember, it's all based with the end in mind.

As for someone having problems with the light cord catching on things or extra task loading, I hate to say it because it sounds like bashing, but it begs the question if one should be in a cave if these things are a problem for the diver. These are basics that should be mastered if one cave dives. It does take practice.

I don't think it's a matter of advantage or disadvantage, rather a matter of preference. It's the way I learned. It's the way my cave instructor (who has some 1500 cave dives) configures his gear. I've read the DIR left hand configuration, but just never saw a problem with the right hand configuration.

Dive-aholic:
Still not an issue. I don't secure the cord under anything. All I have to do is remove the light head from my hand and it falls free. It sounds like this diver had his cord secured under his wrist computer. That would be a problem.
Well, I somehow bet he didn't consider it an issue either. :wink:
I guess he just didn't study how to become DIR on the internet and lacked knowledge and experience. :D

Dan Gibson:

LOL!! Get the hell off you high horse!

ScubaBoard DIR at its finest no doubt.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom