A reminder about deep air/ or not

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

what kinda cable ties you usin

I've got scratches on my lenses while wearing them, dents in my head and broken regs
but never a mouthpiece problem and I never ever check them
and don't find the need to chew them

but I do buy the mouthpieces and cable ties and put them on myself without any machine

I think helium has a serious side affect, it seems to cause an irrational dislike of divers who dive deep on air or maybe it’s a fear that deep air divers know something that they don’t, either way this post has nothing to do with zip ties or mouth pieces
eerrr well it was an 85m wreck penetration- if you think thats an air dive your a muppet

A similar thing happened to me when doing a backroll out a boat in Coz, this was a 'hot drop', so there wasn't much air in my wing. Backrolls are always a bit disorienting (at least for me) and after I hit the water, it took me a couple seconds to recognize that while there was a mouthpiece where it was supposed to be, I needed to get to the second ASAP.

Another reason for having your second on a necklace, I don't want to imagine the 'fun' of trying to find an octopus that may or may not still be attached where it was intended to be.

If I may, I’ve yet to see any Diver include a “zip tie” in a predive check.....sounds ridiculous. Even with a thorough predive check, bubble check and an S drill a zip tie can let go without warning. That’s why we drill......now I would certainly agree that it could have been significantly more challenging at 65m on air compared to mix.

Do you breath off the reg before you splash? (unless cold water) If you breath off the reg just bite and give it a tug. It's not hard and doesn't take any time.

And yes you have to make a conscience effort to check the zip tie. Some of this stuff gets checked when getting ready well before the splash.

And I do before EVERY dive.

Not sure why the OP has anything to do with deep air dives since it could happen on any gas mix.

Even on cable / zip ties one is none, and two is one.

Two zip ties on every reg (or on any other piece of life support equipment) always worked well for me. Better safer than sorry.

Seen too many zip ties fail over the years on various pieces of other people's equipment (and my own in pre tech days) to have any confidence in only one.

Cheap cable ties will give way, most are rated for ~30lbs of pressure. Sometimes the latches fail prematurely too. There are higher quality ones with metal latches and higher ratings, but most use the cheap ones. You can also get cut on cable ties especially if the end isn’t cut properly.

Best solution is to use cave line instead.

Anyone ever thought about going back to the vintage mouthpiece retainer design, a metal band with a screw tightener?

SeaRat

That was long before my diving times, but would that not be quite prone to rusting?

Not sure why the OP has anything to do with deep air dives since it could happen on any gas mix.
Just quoting Doc Bill because it was the shortest, I think @lermontov point was not about the actual nature of the failure but more of a triggering event for thinking about narcosis. "This is how I dealt with this situation, how would it have compared if I had done something different" is a valuable staple of all mishap/ incident analysis.

I recently did 55m on an air dil on CCR, everything was fine until a bit of current kicked up and I started working a little harder. Gas density and narcosis (CO2 and N2) bashed me around the ear for a while till I could get shallower and that was the last time I dive air dil on anything deeper than 40m. Since its cheap I may even use mix on much shallower dives going forward.

YMM, as always, V.

Back
Top Bottom