A quick question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cstreu1026

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
OK, so I am making my way towards DIR. I have decided to adopt the 7 foot hose, but I have a few questions. First, let me see if I have the hose routing completely understood. It run from the first stage down long side the right side of hte body under the arm back up along the left hand side, around the back of the neck, and to the 2nd stage. I read a couple of other threads reguarding hose routing and I wanted to confirm that if you are night diving with a canister light or anything else on that side then you tuck the excess hose underneath the webing on the back plate on the right side of your body? Also, is there suupose to be a snap bolt near the 2nd stage?

I also have a couple of question about the 2nd stage on the necklace. The first question is, which goes on first the necklace or the 7 foot hose...I am assuming the necklace. Second question is roughly how long should the hose be for the back up? I switched the original primary hose to the back up because it seemed way too long the way it came from Scuba Pro.

Thanks in advance for your patience.

The excess hose just gets tucked under a cannister light - and for the record, you don't just take a cannister light on night dives. They're great. But anyway, if you don't have a cannister light, just tuck the excess hose under your webbing belt.

A small bolt snap gets tied on with cave line near the second stage to clip off to your right chest D-Ring when the reg is not in use. The reason is really simple - what do you do with 7 feet of hose banging around on the deck of a boat, or hanging off you when you've deployed a stage bottle, or whatever.

Your necklace should be long enough to just put the backup reg under your chin. Ideally, you can bend down and grab your backup reg hands free, although that takes practice. The backup hose length is nice and short - usually 22", although I prefer 24". That's about 6 inches shorter than a standard primary reg hose, by the way. The necklace goes on first, because you should be doing S-Drills with your long hose at the beginning of the dive. The idea is that your long hose is deployable at all times.

Thank you for the info, it helped alot. Now I just need to convince my wife to let me take a DIRF class....that will be the hard part.

just tell her it'll make you a safer diver. That's bound to work.

Well I dove the long hose for the first time tonight in the pool during a dry suit class. I have to say it was a bit awkward but I am sure some of that has to do with the drysuit. I thought the drysuit was easier to control than anticipated which was good. Hopefully I can get some of the bugs worked out this weekend at the quarry.

cstreu1026:
Well I dove the long hose for the first time tonight in the pool during a dry suit class. I have to say it was a bit awkward but I am sure some of that has to do with the drysuit. I thought the drysuit was easier to control than anticipated which was good. Hopefully I can get some of the bugs worked out this weekend at the quarry.
When I first started diving with the long hose, it seemed awkward to me as well. The biggest problem I had was not having it tucked into or under my right side. I don't dive with a canister light, so a pocket was used instead. After that got taken care of the long hose configuration is definitely preferred. The hose lays close to your body out of the slipstream and I've noticed less pulling of the secondary using a long hose than the standard set-up as well.

Another quick question . . .
Do the DIR powers accept the OMS gear as DIR correct?

The Kracken:
Another quick question . . .
Do the DIR powers accept the OMS gear as DIR correct?
It depends. Which OMS gear are you referring to?

it has nothing to do with brands, it's about how it's made, what components.

No bungeed wings, no plastic buckles.......

cstreu1026:

Most of the "converts" that I've spoken to need at least a dozen dives or so to make the long hose feel comfortable. I now dive a long hose on every dive, regardless of the tanks that I'm using. The real safety in the system is that of common gear configuration. Automatic responses are far safer than multiple choices...

Greg

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom