A quick question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WJL,

Specifically the IQ Pack and 60# lift bladder. I'm seriously considering embracing the DIR philosophy and my LDS has made me a very good offer on these two pieces of gear.

Thanx for your response.
D

A question on the hose routing.

Doesn't it have a tendency to pull one's regulator to the right?

The Kracken:
Doesn't it have a tendency to pull one's regulator to the right?
While tucking the hose under your canister or into your belt, look to the left with the reg in your mouth. This will make sure you have enough slack so that it doesn't pull you to the right.

The Kracken:
WJL,

Specifically the IQ Pack and 60# lift bladder. I'm seriously considering embracing the DIR philosophy and my LDS has made me a very good offer on these two pieces of gear.

Thanx for your response.
D
I would seriously suggest signing up for a DIRF class and talking with your instructor about gear, or at least read the fundamentals book, before making a big gear purchase like this.

The IQ pack looks *way* too complicated. You only need 5 d-rings (they should be in specific places), a continuous piece of webbing for the harness, and 1 or no pockets placed on the harness. You'll save yourself a lot of money too by going for a very simple backplate and continuous harness.

As for wing choice, I'm going to assume you're diving singles. 60# of lift is probably way too big of a bladder. From what I've seen, most of us use something with a lift between 27 and 36#, even in cold water with steel tanks. Many of us are using wings with a circular aircell for singles, and of course, no bungies or double bladders. You can get quality stuff from OMS, DiveRite, Oxycheq, Halcyon and probably other. Focus on the features, not the brand.

Reg hose routing: I use a size 34ss bolt snap, this is for cold water and is slightly larger than the warm water divers. I don't even notice the bolt snap when the reg is in my mouth.

Also, you'll be doing yourself a favor if you learn the reasons behind why certain gear is recommended for DIR. Remember, a PBJ sandwich just ain't the same if you only know about the peanut butter.

DIR is a great philosophy, I'm really happy that I've "converted" and am trying to do it right. Just take the time to learn why you're doing what you're doing! :D

The Kracken:

The bladder (assuming it's a single bladder with no bungees and you're diving large doubles) should be fine. The IQ pack is not (see Mer's post). Besides, I doubt they could give you such a good deal on the IQ pack that it's less than a BP and simple webbing harness.

cornfed:
The bladder (assuming it's a single bladder with no bungees and you're diving large doubles) should be fine. The IQ pack is not (see Mer's post). Besides, I doubt they could give you such a good deal on the IQ pack that it's less than a BP and simple webbing harness.
Corny... what you doing recommending 60# of lift for a single tank. Go drink some more coffee.

You quoted me but it looks like you didn't read it. :wink:

cornfed:
You quoted me but it looks like you didn't read it. :wink:
Doh... sorry, I zoned in on the "single bladder" thing. Thanks for the good teamwork catching my fu(kup chief.

Signing off to get some coffee.

Thanks for the feed back, guys!
In the process of trying to get some takers for a class in the Atlanta area in the early fall.

Listen, learn and live . . .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom