A question regarding multi colour LP hoses.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This all seems pretty rediculous..

I identify my primary because it's on a long hose.

I identify my backup because it's on a bungee around my neck.

I identify my buddy's regs similarly.

All of this color/texture nonsense is anything but an optimal way of determining which reg is which.

- Warren

Warren - do I read your last post correctly? Do you really have a closed loop of some kind around your neck to dive?

Given all the other options for attachment and the danger of getting caught up (in your own gear never mind anything else) I can't imagine why that would be a good idea.

M

Pink and blue colored hose wraps, it has been said and well documented that these colors attract Caribbean Reef Sharks as well as some other agressive breeds.

Mike Newman,

Yes, you read my post correctly. My backup is on a bungee necklace around my neck. The necklace is attached to the mouthpiece with o-rings and zipties, and can be yanked loose with one good tug. In addition, it doesn't present an entanglement hazard for the following reasons:

1) It's on a very short hose, which stays very very close to me.
2) It's on a bungee, which can stretch to something like five times its length. Something would have to pull the necklace with very significant force to even begin to annoy me.

Observe any technical or cave diver, and the equipment he uses.

- Warren

I/D,

This whole thread is a load of B/S. My post is probably the only one of any sense. Are you implying that all technical and cave divers who use a bungeed backup are selling a "complete line of B/S?"

- Warren

Originally posted by Mike Newman
Warren - do I read your last post correctly? Do you really have a closed loop of some kind around your neck to dive?

Given all the other options for attachment and the danger of getting caught up (in your own gear never mind anything else) I can't imagine why that would be a good idea.

M
You're right. It's not a good idea, it's an EXCELLENT idea. Instead of donating some sand-filled, stuffed-in-a-pocket octo, you donate a guaranteed working reg from your mouth and retrieve the backup reg from the necklace beneath your chin where it’s easily available and out of the silt.

My regulator retrieval looks like this: Toss primary reg over shoulder. Stick backup in mouth and have all the time in the world to find the primary and get it back in my mouth. Much easier than the race against the clock that the major agencies stubbornly teach.

The following link will better explain why we bungee a backup around our neck: http://www.dirquest.com/about_dir.shtml

If you’ve got any questions, ask away!

Roak

Now, that must really be a long hose, if yer concerned what state they're in. Mine aren't even long enuf to be in the next county ;-})

Perhaps there could be a little closure here, if we un-diverge? Seems to be 2 streams of consciousness going on. One is obviously the tek-world of long-hoses, etc, and the other is the placement of the rec-world and the octo.

Would it be fair to say that we should be advocating what we were taught and understand, and not preach using or jumping-in with something that we have not had training/experience on? I whole-heartedly agree on the long-hose donation principle, and I wholeheartedly agree with the octo principle.... and it depends on what is being addressed and in what course. They each have their place in this world, but not without the proper groundwork.
Look back at the comments, we've got a lot of people with diverse backgrounds reading this, and I guarantee it's confusing a lot of 'em (no matter which side we're on). Is anyone advocating buying a long-hose and/or a set of doubles and all the rest, and then learning by the Darwinian approach? Didn't think so! That's why we have training.

(flame-suit on)

I'm a rec diver who dives a long hose with single tanks. AFAIC, there's no need for special training to use a long hose. Donating is quite easy, as is going to your backup. What's the big deal? We're not talking rocket science here, after all.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom