A question regarding multi colour LP hoses.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

a4lod

Reaction score
I have seen LP hoses that come in green, yellow & orange. FRom what I understand, the green hoses would be for nitrox systems, what is the reason for buying yellow or orange hoses? Please respond. Thanks.

Yellow is typicaly an octo.

That said, I'd never use hose colour to determin what I'm about to breath. Remember, when its dark/deep.. you loose a lot of that fancy colour information.

what is the reason for buying yellow or orange hoses
No reason at all...

Have you ever walked the isle of a fishing tackle store and wondered why they had so many different lures and stuff?

It isn't to catch fish... it's to catch fishermen... course they catch and release after milking their wallets...

Same with colored hoses and a lot of the other stuff sold in dive shops... diver bait...

Fit, comfort, and looking cool! It's all about looking cool! (please see Pug's signature for further information on this subject--well, on looking 'purdy')

Fashion, possibly, depending on taste -- maybe. But I wouldn't wear clothing the color of my hi-viz yellow fins when on land. In the water, though, I think the bright color is an asset. I believe that that is why octos/octo-hoses are often yellow. If your other hoses are bright, it probably makes you a little more visible, even if muted at depth. I have black lp hoses, but I'm guessing visibility is a motivating factor for those who buy the colored ones.

otter-cat

(BTW, motorcycle gear is excluded from my general ban on neon-yellow for the same reason scuba gear is.)

The use of hose wraps in color greatly identifies which hose is which. Any diver who has trained in an out of air emergency, entanglement hazzards, not to mention the rescue of another diver knows how important it is to be able to identify not only your own gear but that of your buddy or an unknown diver. Look around, how many different gear setups do you see? If you and your buddy are fully aware of each others gear, that could save minutes in an emergency...maybe even a life! Why do you think gear manufacturers color code their octo cover plates, and the quick releases of their integrated weight systems! In the ideal world there are no emergencies....but you have to be able to handle them......underwater. Know how to identify gear by sight and feel...it could come in handy someday...when you least expect it. By the way, look at the physics of it, remember "ROYGBIV".....different color light energies are absorbed at different depths. Yellow looks brighter on land but green is more visible underwater.....ironically around the depth limits of an average nitrox diver.

Safe dives

My Divemaster instructor explained that his reason for using a yellow hosewrap on his teaching rig is not only so that the octo is that much more visable, but so he can tell by touch which hose he has when he demonstrates regulator recovery by reaching over your shoulder for the hose.

This was proven to me by actually working the problem during DM class when each time I tried to do the skill, I kept coming up with my octo versus my primary (currently I don't have any hose wraps in place).

Yes, there are lots of colors out there. And my point of view is that hosewraps are a good thing to help you quickly identify what bit of gear is for what (yellow for octo, green for O2 cleaned reg).

Uhhh, Texasmike... I assume you mean that your DM instructor was able to tell the octo vs the primary reg 'feel' by the texture of the hose-wraps and not by the actual color.

And the color 'coordination' can work when it isn't totally dark (but then you do have a dive-lite, right?).

Another reason for using hose-wrap (color or otherwise) is to add some abrasion-protection to your expensive Poseidon long-hose. Ever priced one? Make mine plaid!

I have my octo (hose & mouth piece) in yellow. It's the only hose with another colour on it. It's wraped with the kind of wrap that's sort of twisted on - not the mesh kind(you can't check your hoses very easy with that kind). It makes it very obvious to my buddy where my spare is.

Back
Top Bottom