A Question of LDS Purchasing Etiquette

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A few thoughts:

1) installing the transmitter itself is pretty simple. Just unscrew the high pressure port screw with an allen wrench (most are 5/32" but there are some odd ball sizes out there. Screw in the transmitter and use a wrench on the metal fitting (a small cresent wrench is fine as long as it is flat/thin enough to fit between the transmitter and the regulator.) Choke up on it and just tighten it just past hand tight - maybe 1/16 of a turn.

2) Lynn sates it well in terms of how you should approach your LDS and how your relationship with them should work. I've never understood the incredibly competitive nature of dives shops that often won't talk to each other or refer customers to one another, and extend that to you by getting upset if you frequent another shop. It's not like you are married to one and having sex with the other.

3) For awhile back in the day when I assisted with classes, i used an air integrated computer, and I had a few failures over time related to both batteries losing voltage in cold temperatures and to pressure sensor failures and errors - one that just quit and another that read 245 psi high (i.e. it read 245 psi when not connected to a tank).

If you are only doing no decompression diving and monitor your SPG intelligently, you'll be able to spot when it "sticks" or fails and you'll be able to end the dive. However if it dies on day one of a live aboard boat trip, you could be SOL unless the boat has a spare. Consequently, for anyone doing deco diving or taking a trip, I suggest they have a spare SPG available.

eCommerce is here to stay! Grow up, suck it up, and get competitive or wave good bye!

LDS owner would grin and say, you need us, just try to refill a tank through a website...

Untill I buy my own compressor, I am never free.

LDS owner would grin and say, you need us, just try to refill a tank through a website...
Not as far fetched as you might think. Divers direct ships their Blue Steel FX117 Steel Scuba Tank filled to 5000 psi unless it's air freight or international. Not a far cry from mail order air-fills. Shipping is the only real obstacle.

---------- Post Merged at 02:45 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 02:27 PM ----------

...Untill I buy my own compressor...

My ultimate goal!!! :D

Not as far fetched as you might think. Divers direct ships their Blue Steel FX117 Steel Scuba Tank filled to 5000 psi unless it's air freight or international. Not a far cry from mail order air-fills. Shipping is the only real obstacle.

:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

It's a store that doesn't carry the product you want. Go elsewhere. If they get jealous of a purchase then maybe that tells you a little something about who you're really dealing with.

Ask them to hold your hand and order it in for you while there are MANY other options? Lol. I'd never.

You owe them nothing! - It's all in your head. Lol.

Untill I buy my own compressor, I am never free.
I did the math once on buying my own compressor.
I figured I would break even at 1660 fills as opposed to going to a dive shop,. This BTW is without any electricity, maintenance costs, or filters, so in reality it would probably be around 2000 or more fills to break even.

So I decided no matter how mad I got at my LDS I would have to eat crow and at least go in for fills.

1) See if they can order it for you. (per ZYK)

2) If #1 is not possible they should generously offer to install it for you based on patronage and in deference to your criteria. A small fee is acceptable but no flack is tolerable.

3) Take the middle fround and unstall it yourself. This task is really really simple. Obviosly in use and at service time your acquisition will be apparent so if you have a good relationship start with #1

4) Personally, I don't want any electrons between my cylinder pressure and my eyes and would get a simple computer and stay with your SPG. All of the integration you need is between your ears.

Pete

1. Take an allen wrench and unscrew the plug on the high pressure port.

2. Screw in the transmitter until it stops turning.

Problem solved.

LMAO

-Message too short-

Ok, really LMAO

I was thinking a bit more about this, and a thread entitled "A Question of LDS Purchasing Etiquette" should really be about the proper etiquette for a LDS to employ in order to keep you coming back to buy stuff, rather than about proper etiquette for you to employ so the LDS will continue to accept your money.

online retailers seem to have it right. I bet I can send an email to DRIS calling them a bunch of a-holes, and then order something a minute later without any issue at all.

Just to be clear: I like DRIS, and don't think they are a-holes at all - this was purely a hypothetical example.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom