A Question of LDS Purchasing Etiquette

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aliengoods

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm new to scuba (just got OW certified a week ago) and I love it. I love it so much I'm saying to heck with it and getting my own rig. Well, everything but the tank. All of my gear, except a dive knife and a wetsuit, have been purchased from my LDS, and I have to say I have a great LDS. The prices I've paid for almost everything have been at or below online prices for the exact same equipment. But now I've come to a bit of a problem. My LDS doesn't carry the dive computer I would like to purchase (after extensive research and factoring in my training and diving plans for the next year). Sure, they have a couple that are good and would give me 90% of what I want, but I want 100% of what I'm looking for. So my question is this. Is it considered in poor taste to get something other than at your LDS and then give it to them to install? This one has the wireless sensors which go into the first stage, so I would rather the professionals install it. I've already spent around $2K there in the last month between training and equipment, so it's not like I'm not into supporting my LDS, and they are a great bunch of guys, it's just they don't carry what I want. Any advice on how to handle the situation as to not offend anyone?

First, see if they can order it for you. If they can't then ask them if they have a problem with you bringing in a computer module to have them install it.
If they raise an eye brow then remind them how much you've spent there and how loyal you've been. If they still give you grief then find a new LDS.

I have to say I have a great LDS. The prices I've paid for almost everything have been at or below online prices for the exact same equipment.

The cartels tend to strictly enforce MAP ( Minimum Advertised Price ) so it doesn't suprise me that you think your LDS is soo 'competitive'. :( Even LeisurePro who used to have decent prices on ScubaPro regulators 'fell inline' once they became an 'authorized' dealer.

That said, I wouldn't have the balls to just bring an air sensor in and ask them to install it without telling them what you want what you want and see if they offer to take care of it for you anyways out of good faith. You may get a great response or you may suddenly feel like you have left the flock and they dissaprove. Run, do not walk...

Then again, I'd just grab an allen wrech and wrench and do it myself. I'd also not buy a computer with a wireless pressure sensor but that's just the way I roll.

Honestly, your LDS should thank you for whatever business you give them. If they give you a hairy eyeball or make you feel unappreciated in any way you need a new LDS (I'd argue that no one needs an LDS, but that's a topic with its own set of threads).

Also, you'll see pretty quickly that you don't need a LDS to do that installation. Nothing you can't accomplish with a small set of allen wrenches and a crescent.

+1 on asking if they can order it for you. If they are really cool and not just profit mongering then they should have no problem with you getting it online and then helping you set it up. If you are really concerned about what they would say if you purchased it elsewhere then a little fib about getting as a "gift" from someone who got it for you somewhere else might ease any awkwardness.

I'd also not buy a computer with a wireless pressure sensor but that's just the way I roll.

I have my analog pressure and depth gauges as backups, so I'm not overly concerned about electronics failure. Are there other reasons I hadn't considered when it comes to wireless sensors? Do they frequently fail and need replacement?

I dislike lying, but sometimes a little information guarding goes a long way in avoiding LDS politics.

I have my analog pressure and depth gauges as backups, so I'm not overly concerned about electronics failure.
Good, there's no need to be.

Are there other reasons I hadn't considered when it comes to wireless sensors? Do they frequently fail and need replacement?
No. Enjoy your wireless gas integration. You should feel comfortable installing the transmitter yourself, too. It's simple, and you will want to remove the transmitter routinely for travel.

I have always found honesty to be a good policy. Tell your LDS what you want to buy, and why; let them offer you other options, or offer to order the one you want for you. If they can't order it, and they can't offer you a unit that has the features you want, explain to them politely that you are going to buy the one you selected, and that you would like to bring it in to have the transmitter installed. If you get a bad reaction to that, what you know is that you are only of interest to them when you are a conduit for funds. I don't like being treated that way, but I'd rather know before I'm involved in something important to me and discover it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom