A question not often discussed: alternatives to tradition

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveDaddyDale

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Preparing for Texas winter dives with water temps in the low-mid 60s. While I may end up w a 7mm full suit, I want to consider other options which may be more useful for a wider variety of temps.

For or example I am considering obtaining a 5mm to layer over my 2.5mm. Or a vest/hood combination to warm core (while sacrificing some degree of extremity protection).

Would a Farmer John prove more useful throughout the various seasons?

Looking beyond the obvious drysuit/7mm full suit solution what other options might I consider.

Thank you for your thoughts.

A 5mm full suit (+ 5mm vest with hood for the second dive) would work for me at those temperatures, but cold is subjective... Good gloves and a hood help a lot.

In the end, a drysuit really is the most flexible solution: layer your undersuit as needed.

If your budget is able, think about a 7mm 'Farmer John', a 7mm long sleeve 'shorty' and a long or short sleeved 'rash guard' (Lavacore makes interesting rash guards, watch the sizing they're tight) .......W/those three items you can dive almost any temps/environments......

It depends as much on depth as temperature. A good 7mm wetsuit can be toasty on the surface and teeth chatter at 60' as the suit compresses. Add to that individual tolerance and you have an impossible calculation. Have you considered renting or borrowing some extra layers to see how it works for you?

I am interested in the Farmer John but have read that they are very difficult to don and doff. I do think a 5mm w my 2.5mm under, add a 5mm hood may be the ticket.

I am interested in the Farmer John but have read that they are very difficult to don and doff. I do think a 5mm w my 2.5mm under, add a 5mm hood may be the ticket.

I used a 7mm farmer john for years before switching to a drysuit. In many ways I think a farmer John is easier on and off than a one piece. Not sure at all where you got your info.

I used both a 7mm one piece and a 7mm farmer john with jacket before going dry. The one piece is supper easy to put on the farmer john and jacket a bit longer to put on but still not difficult. I was comfortable in water temps down to about 50 in the farmer john and jacket but it's all upto ones tollarence for cold.

I have used my LavaCore and a 5mil with hood and gloves/5mil boots in December @ Clear Springs. I do have a good tolerance to cold. I have used only my Lavacore no hood with gloves and boots in temps as low as 70. Hope this helps.

Good thoughts. What experience have you all had with a hooded vest? It seems that a 5/7mm hooded vest over my W30 might be an option.

Just a heads up, Dale.....you will see upper 40's for the winter dives here and I am being conservative. I've been in the lower 40's at CSSP and Lake Murray in the TX/OK winters. Low-mid 60's? Lake Murray is already 62 on the surface as of this past Wed and probably lower already.

Stay warm, sir! :)

Back
Top Bottom