A question about Judaism

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mongoose

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Perhaps a Jewish person can answer this, I would appreciate a clarification.

I was reminded today of something a lady (who was raised Jewish but is now athiest) that I dated once told me, and I found surprising ... she said that Jewish folks do not believe in an afterlife.

Is this true? I had never before heard anyone say one way or the other, but most religions(that I know of) believe that there is some sort of afterlife.

And BTW, I only ask out of pure curiosity. Although I do not practice any religion, and consider myself more agnostic than anything, I find the subject of religion interesting.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This is NOT intended to start some massive theological flamewar. Take that stuff elsewhere. I'm just curious about a particular faith's belief system.

Thanks,
--'Goose

Goose,

It's not as simple for Jews as either/or. Some believe, some don't. What I most wholeheartedly suggest is that you Google "Jewish afterlife beliefs" and so some very interesting reading.
It's a really great question, but being Jews, you really can't expect a direct answer now, can you? :)

Neil

Ask 2 Jews and get 3 different opinions.

Sort-of. There are a couple of points to clarify first:
  • If you ask 3 Jews a question, you'll get at least 5 answers, so my answer isn't worth anything more or less than any other Jew's answer.
  • There is no physical "Head Jew". There's nothing like The Pope or even a Priest. The literal translation of Rabbi is "teacher" and they're not actually required for any events, except possibly weddings (not sure about that one).

This means that there is no single, authoritative answer for many questions. Each Jew is left to personally interpret the Torah and other documents/traditions.
That said, I'll answer anyway. :cool:

Jews specifically do not have many beliefs in an afterlife. This isn't to say that we don't believe there is one, only that we don't know what it is, and don't live life based on death or an eternal reward. Jews believe that God is just and that what happens after we die is whatever is supposed to happen, and leave it at that.

Your mileage may vary. Someone else may have a different opinion.

Terry

mongoose:
Perhaps a Jewish person can answer this, I would appreciate a clarification.

I was reminded today of something a lady (who was raised Jewish but is now athiest) that I dated once told me, and I found surprising ... she said that Jewish folks do not believe in an afterlife.

Is this true? I had never before heard anyone say one way or the other, but most religions(that I know of) believe that there is some sort of afterlife.

And BTW, I only ask out of pure curiosity. Although I do not practice any religion, and consider myself more agnostic than anything, I find the subject of religion interesting.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This is NOT intended to start some massive theological flamewar. Take that stuff elsewhere. I'm just curious about a particular faith's belief system.

Thanks,
--'Goose

You guys forgot to tell him that of the 5 answers from the 3 Jews, at least 4 will be in a form of a question. :wink:

aquaoren:
You guys forgot to tell him that of the 5 answers from the 3 Jews, at least 4 will be in a form of a question. :wink:

And what's the problem with that?

I'd agree with WebMonkey. I was raised Jewish and never heard or was taught much about the afterlife (and I'm glad of it!), although it was said to exist. The emphasis was on living properly in God's and your community's eyes.

Web Monkey:
Jews specifically do not have many beliefs in an afterlife. This isn't to say that we don't believe there is one, only that we don't know what it is, and don't live life based on death or an eternal reward. Jews believe that God is just and that what happens after we die is whatever is supposed to happen, and leave it at that.

Thanks for yours and Supernals. I find this very interesting and quite similar to my own belief system. Living a good life here on Earth should not be due to a perceived reward in the afterlife.

I am not a practicing Christian although I was raised in that tradition. However, I've long felt that if I lived a "good life" here on Earth, I'd be consistent with Christ's teachings. I believe that is what He intended rather than what many Christian religions (especially many fundamentalists) state. This also resolves the issue of the many non-Christians who live a good life but "aren't" going to Heaven (or whatever) because they haven't "accepted" Jesus Christ as Savior in their terms.

Back
Top Bottom