A proposal for a little organization here.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chuck Tribolet

Contributor
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
This particular forum has a lot of very long running threads, and
threads that come back to life after a couple of years. I'd like to
propose a little organization: If we make the subject lines be in
the format:

yyyy/mm/dd Location - Description

for example:

2009/04/01 Haight-Ashbury, California - Diver Abducted by Aliens

OK, I'm having a little fun with the example ;-), but, in all seriousness,
it will be easier to sort out the threads that have come back to
life from the current stuff.

You mean like I did about four years ago?
(look back to spring/early summer 05)
Basically, I ended up doing it all myself (changing the thread titles to add the date, which takes time) as there was no cooperation from the masses; eventually I gave up.
:)
Rick

I think it's a good suggestion, though difficult to enforce. I have thought that it's too bad that when you hit New Posts, it shows the date of the last post, but it's too bad it doesn't show the date of the first post as well. I think that's a limitation of the software.

There was a point in time (Some where far, far away and long, long ago) that when you moused over the thread, the date of the original post also showed as well as the first few lines of the first post. I am not sure if it was this forum, but someone did it. It should be possible.

Dittos, I have made the same suggestion a few times. Doesn't seem like that difficult of a software change.

Bruce

Dittos, I have made the same suggestion a few times. Doesn't seem like that difficult of a software change.

Bruce

Easier (maybe not economical) to change the software to show original post date, than to get everyone to remember and cooperate.

Easier (maybe not economical) to change the software to show original post date, than to get everyone to remember and cooperate.

Yeah. Put it in the sticky right next to the "Do not post condolences here" and I am sure they will listen :D. Just kidding. I agree that this is a great idea and while I am not a programmer, it would be more effective to post the date somewhere rather than asking SB participants to remember (or agree) to add the date to their thread title.

Well if the board used one of the many superior open source forum software I'm sure we'd already have a solution. In all likelihood the information has already been retrieved but is simply not being displayed.

Yes that was a shot against vBulletin.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom