A proposal for a little organization here.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am in full agreement. The new change by El is great however it would be much easier to scan and read the pages without the "Posted by" and thankfully they really add little/no value to the page.

Along the lines of making it easier to scan and putting the more useful information first how about:
"Started dd mmm yyyy by soandso"
Example
"Started 9 Feb 2009 by Chuck Tribolet"

The date the thread was started is more important then who started it (IMO). Using the date format removes the mm/dd and dd/mm confusion. Plus using the shortened month just makes the reading easier.

Date format:
using date() function: "j M Y" or "j M y" for a two digit year
using strftime() function: "%e %b %Y" (or again y for two digit year)

Delete "Started" and "by" and that'd be ok too.
I still prefer a "year - month - day" format because you can do a numerical date sort that'll be chronological too.
:)
Rick
Along the lines of making it easier to scan and putting the more useful information first how about:
Example

The date the thread was started is more important then who started it (IMO). Using the date format removes the mm/dd and dd/mm confusion. Plus using the shortened month just makes the reading easier.

Date format:
using date() function: "j M Y" or "j M y" for a two digit year
using strftime() function: "%e %b %Y" (or again y for two digit year)

Nice addition. :D

It does however make it slower to read who started the post, as we have to read the 'Posted by' bit.

What would people think of a 'El Orans, posted on February 17, 2009' format, rather than a 'Posted by El Orans on February 2009' format. I find its nice to have the names first as its easy to scroll down and see who's posting what.

Or is it just me?

Very useful addition all the same.

Cheers,
Rohan.

I would prefer to lose the "posted by" prefix too - it adds clutter, increases the "scan time" and doesn't add any value. The date bit is a useful addition, but I would definitely prefer to lose the "posted by" prefix to the username,

I think it's great!
Personally, I'd shorten the format to "yyyy/mm/dd - Poster" or "Poster - yyyy/mm/dd," (or "yyyy-mm-dd" if folks want dashes) but what you've done is marvelous, and I am grateful :)
Thank you!
Rick

I am in full agreement. The new change by El is great however it would be much easier to scan and read the pages without the "Posted by" and thankfully they really add little/no value to the page.

I agree.

Example

The date the thread was started is more important then who started it (IMO).

I disagree. To many people who post and read SB frequently, the "who" is far more important than the "when"

Well the dates are stored as a UNIX time stamp so as far as sorting goes it doesn't matter how it is displayed.
Cross purposes... I ain't runnin' UNIX here; by the time I get it, it's all ASCII.
Rick

I like it. I wouldn't mind the name leading, but a little practice and I'm sure I'll be scanning virtually as fast as ever.

Now, as to the date, it's fine how it is, although yyyy-mm-dd would be less region-specific. If it's changed to anything, "dd Mmm yyyy" is my least favorite, primarily because it's in reverse order. (The year is the most significant part, so it should come first. If it's a fire sale in 2007, I don't really care that it was on the 6th of May. :biggrin:)

I see the change El. That looks MUCH better without the "Posted By". Thanks

Back
Top Bottom