A poll about DiveMaster Expectations

What do you expect from a DM? - new divers only (< 50 dives) please

• Show me cool stuff, watch my air pressure and depth, keep me safe and not exceed my training

Votes: 3 5.5%
  • Show me cool stuff, watch my air pressure and depth and keep me safe.

Votes: 5 9.1%
  • Show me cool stuff, watch my air pressure and depth

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Show me cool stuff, watch my air pressure

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Show me cool stuff

Votes: 30 54.5%
  • Give a dive briefing and stay on the boat

Votes: 11 20.0%
  • Stay out of my way and not touch my stuff

Votes: 4 7.3%
  • If a DM is required, I won't go.

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • What's a DM?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
As a new diver,<50 dives...My opinion...show me cool stuff,dont exceed my training,kinda watch and make sure I dont do anything stupid and correct me when I do....Now,I say this because I have not been diving with a DM yet,really dont know what to expect yet and get kinda nervous in new situations,but I practice in the pool alot

I too missed the <50 dives part.

But how is the survey relevant?

Asking a new diver what they expect of a DM is likely to elicit high marks for every dive op, no matter how bad- what do divers with less than 50 dives know to expect or demand?

Even divers with many, many dives expect that tropical resort DM's will hold a certification card as a DM. Many don't even have basic C Cards.

I too missed the <50 dives part.

But how is the survey relevant?

Asking a new diver what they expect of a DM is likely to elicit high marks for every dive op, no matter how bad- what do divers with less than 50 dives know to expect or demand?

Even divers with many, many dives expect that tropical resort DM's will hold a certification card as a DM. Many don't even have basic C Cards.

We're not ranking dive ops and I don't care if someone thought their DM was wonderful. I was looking for expectations.

I know what DMs actually do and what they're supposed to do, I wanted to see what new divers were looking for from a DM.

Terry

Hey Doc,
To continue on Terry's lead on the poll; there is sometimes a disconnect between what a new diver needs to "get over the hump" and continue diving versus what services are provided.

There are many competent new divers that don't have the confidence to continue (there are many confident divers that are incompetent also). So I know what I typically do for new(ish) divers, it would be nice to know if what I do is similar to what the divers want. I would like the transition from dependent to self-sufficient to be as painless as possible.

Well, with the 50+ crowd now involved it will not be an open discussion. All it takes is one of them to have seen the thread that prompted this and they would clam up quickly knowing the lambasting they would likely take thanks to some.

This would have been better if only those who were allowed to vote were allowed to post. Just my 2 psi

Shoot sorry, didn't see the "less than 50 dives" either.

No option for "show me cool stuff, don't let the group get lost, and don't let anyone else in the group die and thereby screw up my day." which would have been my preferred option.

OOPP'S Sorry I did the same thing!!!

OOPP'S Sorry I did the same thing!!!

It would be really interesting to see what the new divers think.

Would anybody have any objections if I whacked this thread and republished it with a more prominent "NEW DIVERS ONLY!"?

With all the back and forth of what people want, the people that really need help are the new divers, and I'd like to see what they expect. The posts by the experienced divers scare off the newbies.

Terry

Would anybody have any objections if I whacked this thread and republished it with a more prominent "NEW DIVERS ONLY!"?

Nope, if that is the opinion you are looking for then go for it. Just make sure nobody can miss the new diver part:D

It would be really interesting to see what the new divers think.

With all the back and forth of what people want, the people that really need help are the new divers, and I'd like to see what they expect. The posts by the experienced divers scare off the newbies.

Terry

I am ok with starting a new post - I am really interested in the responses and I think some of the earlier posts intimidated people from answering. I am passionate about this subject because I am a new diver and I know first hand how quickly things can become deadly. I want to learn but I also want to know that there is someone close by if I need help.

I voted for Show me cool stuff, watch my air pressure and depth, keep me safe and not exceed my training but I think it should have been Show me cool stuff, keep me safe and not exceed my training

I agree that is what I would have voted for. I don't need anyone watching my depth and air...but I would like someone to show me around/navigate and be there if something goes wrong.

I noticed that most of the people that said "leave me alone" in the thread have lots of dives. I guess they missed the "new diver" part too. Of course you want to be left alone; you are confident and have probably been in some stressful situations and know how you will handle them. Most new divers have not and aren't sure whether they will react well or poorly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom