A poll about DiveMaster Expectations

What do you expect from a DM? - new divers only (< 50 dives) please

• Show me cool stuff, watch my air pressure and depth, keep me safe and not exceed my training

Votes: 3 5.5%
  • Show me cool stuff, watch my air pressure and depth and keep me safe.

Votes: 5 9.1%
  • Show me cool stuff, watch my air pressure and depth

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Show me cool stuff, watch my air pressure

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Show me cool stuff

Votes: 30 54.5%
  • Give a dive briefing and stay on the boat

Votes: 11 20.0%
  • Stay out of my way and not touch my stuff

Votes: 4 7.3%
  • If a DM is required, I won't go.

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • What's a DM?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Web Monkey

Omniheurist
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Recently there has been some discussion about what divers expect from a DiveMaster when on vacation in a tropical location.

Tell everybody what you think!

Thanks!

Terry

So far "show cool stuff" is ahead . . .

I voted for Show me cool stuff, watch my air pressure and depth, keep me safe and not exceed my training but I think it should have been Show me cool stuff, keep me safe and not exceed my training

Opps - I just voted for "site briefing and stay on the boat"

The part that says " new divers only (< 50 dives) please" is pretty hidden.

I do not want a DM holding my hand, watching my air pressure, or keeping me safe. If you cannot keep yourself safe in the condtions you are diving in then you have no business there. If you do not know the limits of your training and are unable to stick to them you were not paying attention or your instructor failed to convey them to you. If the DM is showing everyone cool stuff I stay off by myself and seem to find what I think is cool on my own. Of course I like wrecks. A reef is a reef. If I see a seahorse fine. If I don't that's ok to. On wrecks DM's tend to get in the way. Many times I'm happy working on skills on reef dives and when taking photos am more concerned with my buoyancy and finning skills than the shot. And with a digital camera if it comes out bad the delete button is there.

Shoot sorry, didn't see the "less than 50 dives" either.

No option for "show me cool stuff, don't let the group get lost, and don't let anyone else in the group die and thereby screw up my day." which would have been my preferred option.

I'd be much more interested in the result of this poll if conducted in a non-SB audience! They're the problem.

I do not want a DM holding my hand, watching my air pressure, or keeping me safe. If you cannot keep yourself safe in the condtions you are diving in then you have no business there. If you do not know the limits of your training and are unable to stick to them you were not paying attention or your instructor failed to convey them to you.
I have 24 dives - I am still learning but I do know what I can/can't handle. If I have a problem I want a DM there to help me (the keep me safe part) until I get more comfortable and confident. I don't want a DM taking the group off somewhere outside of my training level just to see cool stuff. I know what is outside my training and wouldn't follow anyone into the water knowing it is going to be more difficult than what I am prepared for but what about the DM that decides to go outside of that once we are in the water? I've only done a few boats dives and haven't run across anything like that but that's why I voted for that option.
I am sure once I hit the 200+ dive mark I will feel more like you Jim but as a new diver I expect more from a DM.

If im a paying customer i want someone (doesnt have to be a divemaster. Here it the skipper) to give me a detailed brief then leave me alone completely until im back onboard ready to leave for home.

Shoot sorry, didn't see the "less than 50 dives" either.

No option for "show me cool stuff, don't let the group get lost, and don't let anyone else in the group die and thereby screw up my day." which would have been my preferred option.

I was hoping for the "less than 50 dives" crowd because I wanted to see what kind of expectations new divers had when they got out of OW class.

Terry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom