A Newby Intro.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I see... I inferred that you were married within the time that you started asking the question Dafyd. Congrats on being together for that long instead!

And yes, it is DARK at 5pm here at this time of year! There are too many other local beers here to miss just one... But one of my favorites is the Commanders IPA from the Scuttlebutt brewery in Everett.

-kate

Welcome Dafydd to Scubaboard... From Toronto, Ontario, Canada...

I hope you enjoy your stay!.. Ask Questions and remember any question is not a stupid question!!

N1Hawk

Originally posted by Dafydd
Hello to all,
Texas Mike found me at another site and directed me here. I looked through past postings and then posted a question in BC's. Texas Mike found me again. Since last time he steered me straight, I'm following his advice again and leaving an into to myself here. It would seem this is a good place to get good scuba info and make friends. I'm looking forward to getting to know you.
I'm brand spanking knew to scuba. It has been on my want to do list for, hmm, well for a long time. Last spring I was at a local high school pool with my family and there was a guy there fooling around with his scuba gear. I approached him and asked him about it. It turned out that he was an instructor without a school. I asked what he would charge to certify my wife, son and myself. When I got home I did a little checking on prices and his were good with one big advantage, he would come to my house for all the book work. The diving would be done at the high school. He required a minimum of four people in order to run the class. I talked my Assistant Scout Master into joining us. Yep, that's me Scout Master. My son was Senior Patrol Leader at that time. So on a side note I really believe in Boy Scouting. Any how the lessons went great. Then my instructor took his Spring scuba trip. When he got back other friends took him on anther trip. When he got back from that trip he got ill. Then he had personal problems that meant finding a new home. We fell out of contact for much too long. But in the end he turned out to be a good man and kept his part of the bargain. My wife had trouble getting comfortable with the gear and did not finish the lessons. My son, Assistant Scout Master and myself will be doing our open dive right after Thanksgiving, if all goes well.
During this long ordeal to get open water certified I just got more and more excited about diving. I've been buying and reading what ever magazines I could find. My thoughts in getting scuba certified were to do some diving in CA when I vist family there. But now that I'm a little more aware of the opportunities I want my own gear. I'm certainly jumping the gun. But around my house we only buy expensive gifts or toys on Christmas and Birthdays. So it means now or May. It will probably be May. But come May I want to know what I want. To this end I have been to all the local dive shops, and was surprised at how many there are here in the land locked Rocky Mountains! It turns out that there is a shop not more than a few minutes from my home, and I have bought a few things and rented a few things from them. Complete mask, snorkel, boots and fins for the three of us. And I rented a shorty wet suit for my wife hoping it would help her feel more comfortable in the pool (marginal success).
The name I use on the web is Dafydd, this is just the Welsh version of David and it is pronounced close enough to David for most uses (Day-fid). My heritage is half Welsh. Some day I think I would like to officially change the spelling of my name to the Welsh version. What do you think?
Well I've run on a bit and didn't manage to say much. Take note, as a teacher it is what I'm good at. That could mean long rambling responses in the future. In any case, I'm glad to be here and to have made a friend in Texas Mike. If you know any thing about the HUB, please respond to my request in the BC section.

Eternity has begun,
What are you doing with yours?
Dafydd

Originally posted by scubakat
There are too many other local beers here to miss just one... But one of my favorites is the Commanders IPA from the Scuttlebutt brewery in Everett.

-kate
You're right about the variety. That is one thing I miss terribly is to be able to sit at a pub with your friends for several hours and over a months time, NEVER drink the same beer twice. One of my fondest memories was sitting out on the back lawn of McMinneman's pub in Hilsborro as the sun set, muching on the great food and sipping the great beer.

Unfortunately, here in Texas, they think LONE STAR is a good beer. My opinion is that the horse's kidneys need changing. (But before my fellow swampsters get too riled up, I do love my Shiner!)

Never tried the Commander's IPA, but the IPAs from the pubs in Portland weren't to shabby either.

That tears it.....now I gotta make a trip up there to sample the diving and the brew.... When's a good time to plan a trip? (and I'm 1/2-way serious here)

in sunny Thailand, Dafydd...

Good to have you aboard and hope to hear a lot more about your new experiences.

Cheers

Originally posted by TexasMike
That tears it.....now I gotta make a trip up there to sample the diving and the brew.... When's a good time to plan a trip? (and I'm 1/2-way serious here)
The beer's always good, but the diving is the best in the winter because visibility clears up. I can say that it's been getting better every week since October or so. I would say that any time between now & March or April would be good. I could probably help schedule a trip to BC or the San Juan Islands in February. Hec, maybe we could make it a a NDI/Scubaboard outing... Now, just master that drysuit and you will be all set! You are advanced/night certified right?

-kate

Kate....Yup...and just finished Rescue as well. Don't forget, "night/low vis" is darn near a requirement down here!

As far as a trip, be there something we could do for a "Cozumel" style weekend (arrive Thursday, fly out on late late Monday) to give us 3 days of diving (Fri, Sat, early Sun)?

And I can bring up some TSDT shirts for those that haven't decided to buy them yet (hint).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom