A Nasty incident

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gozumm once bubbled...
BTW: Does the HSE also analyze the quality of your gas?
Hi Gozumm,

I guess so, but there wasn't much left for them to analize!

I doubt it was a problem with the gas, though, as I had used it on the first dive (for 48 minutes) without problem.

Dr Paul Thomas once bubbled...
Hi Gozumm,
I guess so, but there wasn't much left for them to analize!
I doubt it was a problem with the gas, though, as I had used it on the first dive (for 48 minutes) without problem.

Oy, Dr. Thomas, mea culpa I forgot you had zero psi in your gear, as per your previous notes.

regards,

marv

Hi Doctors,
I just read your posts and in regard to Dr Thomas's observation that "I doubt it was a problem with the gas, though, as I had used it on the first dive (for 48 minutes) without problem." I just wanted to point out that oxygen toxicity is extremely variable, not only on an individual to individual basis, but also on a day to day basis within the individual him/herself. In other words, every time I am in the water my tolerance to high pO2 exposure is different. This was shown conclusively in Kenneth Donald's 1992 book, "Oxygen and The Diver", p48 (Great Britain: The Spa Ltd.) His conclusion after experimenting with several divers being exposed to high pO2's for varying times was that, "it becomes clear that to judge even a single man's tolerance by one or even several dives is dangerous and unjustifable. If we examine the performances of three divers who survived for 100 minutes at 50 feet (on 100% O2), we find that the averages of all thier other performances at this depth are 22, 19, and 15 minutes respectively. One of the most striking cases is that of Gibson who convulsed after 12 minutes at 50 feet, 16 days later he completed 100 minutes without symptoms. Six days after this he again convulsed after 32 minutes. Such findings as this make it clear that to dive on oxygen to any toxic pressure involves risk that is impossible to assess." Now I understand that they were using much jigher than normal pO2's, but my point is that Dr. Thomas could have very easily, accomplished a prior dive to that depth and not had problems, then actually tox when exposed on a subsequent dive to the same or even lower pO2's.
I am also curious how hard you were working at the time of the loss of consciousness. I read that you were commencing practice
of "CBL", (forgive my ignorance, I don't know what "CBL" is), is this task very labor intensive? I am curious about possibility of CO2 buildup during this portion of your dive. As this is also believed to be a major contributor of ox-tox.
Just curious, these occurences of random loss of consciousness and/or seizures within pO2 limits arouse my curiosity, I really would not like that to happen to me or my mates while we are diving, so I try to understand what may be going on with the diver during these dives.
Thanks much for sharing with us!! It is highly appreciated! I am very gald to hear you are doing well!

BCS once bubbled...
...forgive my ignorance, I don't know what "CBL" is), is this task very labor intensive? ...

Controlled Buoyant Lift.

To simulate bringing an unconsious buddy to the surface. I believe Dr Paul was using his buddy's BC to provide buoyancy for the pair of them while they slowy ascended.

Not very energetic but some task loading

Oh! Ok. Thanks Nick!!

nickjb once bubbled...
Controlled Buoyant Lift. . . . . Paul was using his buddy's BC to provide buoyancy for the pair of them while they slowy ascended.
Yup,

This readily explains why he went up and I went down and I was out of reach in a matter of seconds!

I don't think any "rescuee" would ever expect the "rescuer" to lose consciousness!

BCS once bubbled...
. . oxygen toxicity is extremely variable, not only on an individual to individual basis, but also on a day to day basis within the individual him/herself.

One of the most striking cases is that of Gibson who convulsed after 12 minutes at 50 feet, 16 days later he completed 100 minutes without symptoms. . . .
ppO2 at 50ft (15 meters) with 100% = 2.6bar.
Just curious, these occurences of random loss of consciousness and/or seizures within pO2 limits arouse my curiosity, I really would not like that to happen to me or my mates while we are diving, so I try to understand what may be going on with the diver during these dives.
Hi BCS,

Take a look at http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4425

I was using Nitrox 33% at 22 metres for both dives that day = 1 bar, and as you say, this was well with accepted NOAA limits.

There is obviously something about me that caused my problem but I do not know what that is and, sadly, am unlikely ever to find out.

PFO?

Profile of the first dive.

Sorry to those who tried to download these from the original post.

and thanks to Ladydiver for editing them for us!

BCS once bubbled...
"I doubt it was a problem with the gas, though, as I had used it on the first dive (for 48 minutes) without problem." I just wanted to point out that oxygen toxicity is extremely variable

Hi BCS,

Actually was looking for contamination within the gas itself or if the percentage 02 measured was in error. Appreciate the refresher you posted. You should also know then by VENTID its mostly too late, so an emphasis on it is moot.

Thank you!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom