A Nasty incident

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Iceni

Medical Moderator
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

On 7th November I suffered a nasty diving accident at Stoney Cove (A flooded quarry in the UK used for training). In fact I nearly died but thanks to the efforts of the paramedics, the medical team and the prayers of all my friends, includiing fellow scubaboarders, I am very much "alive and kicking".

So firstly, may I thank all of you for your good wishes and for the cards (and the bear!). They werre greatly appreciated.

I believe everyone should be able to learn from one's mistakes, mine (if there was one) was to dive with a relative novice.

What happened?

Trip to try out my new Dive-Rite Explorer wing in controlled conditions before using it at sea and to practice "drills". My budddy was using a new undersuit and wanted to sort out his buoyancy. I was using EAN 34% to max of 30 M first dive(ppO2 1.36 bar), 20 M second dive (ppO2 1.02 bar). Buddy using air.

First dive superb. The wing and Portland engineering steel backplate are a treat, much better than the buddy Trident I had previously used. Immediately happy and comfortable with it. Stayed at the 6 m mark for first 10 minutes until we were both comfortable then made our way the the wreck of the stanegarth. I practiced shut downs and changing mask in midwater.

Hour and a half surface interval, tea and burger.

Second dive with 7 litre sideslung pony, similar start to dive, visited various submerged items of interest such as the Nautilus and bus.

As planned at 15 M on ascent I practiced a controlled buoyant ascent which I am told was going very well untill we reached about 10 M when I simply lost conciousness, fell back and started to convulse. As I was originally controlling the lift using my buddy's wing, he was more buoyant than I. I gather he ascended several feet before he came down to get me but could not inflate my wing or dry suit. (?) So he surfaced to call for help.

I was brought to the surface, deeply unconcious after at least 10 minutes on the bottom at 20 M by which time I had become extremely oedematous. I understand it took the rescuers several attempts to get me on the rescue boat, the efforts for which caused a lot a bruising.

In coma for 3 weeks, dialysis for acute tubular necrosis (renal failure) during which time I was not allowed to drink anyrting. I was also ventilated for acute lung injury. The one thing I will NEVER forget is when they weaned my off the ventilator. It felt like my lungs had been taken out, put through a wringer and glued into my chest inside-out. It was PAINFUL. It was almost torture and I could not sleep for the following two nights due to the induced "air hunger" and the constant noise from the tubing. I was extremely relieved when the tracheostomy tube was eventually removed and I got my voice back.

In addition I ached all over and was so weak I could not even hold a fork to feed myself!

Now on the mend, with no serious damage. My renal function is almost normal (creatinine 180) I am up and about but I have very little stamina as yet.

How could I have survived with no brain damage? It is a genuine miracle.

1. Cold water - 2 degrees C
  2. Immediate and continuing CPR with 100% oxygen
  3. Use of high Nitrox mix - marginally increased O2 reserves
  4. Your prayers
    [/list=1]

My life and my medical career nearly came to a premature end. My diving career is certainly over because I just cannot explain what happened so it could happen to me again. (I most certainly would not wish to put my wife, Angela, through that anguish again.)

I hope my posting the details is of use. The one thing that concerns me is that diver rescue is not obligatory in basic PADI training as it is for BSAC.

Dr Paul Thomas!

I know everyone here is going to be absolutely ecstatic to see that you are well. I can't say how happy I was to see a post with your name on it!

Your story has inspired me to move from AOW to Rescue Diver. I can only imagine being your buddy on this dive, and how horrible it would be if I was not prepared to handle the situation. If it could happen to you, it could happen to anyone... I don't even see where you could have made a mistake!

Welcome back. We missed you!

... even if you are a "cranky old doctor"

Your SB family has been here routing you on to recovery.

Welcome back.

WOW!!!:D Welcome back.It is soooo great to hear your doing good.It is wonderful to hear from you and know your doing alright after your dive accident.We all had you in our prayers everyday to recover.Thanks for posting an update im sure everyone will be ecstatic to see your thread:)

I am happy to see that you survived your ordeal. It was shocking news when we all heard about it.

I respect your choice to not continue to dive, a tough one I'm sure.

Best wishes,
Mike

Thanks Dr Paul for the candid run-down. This does emphasize (again) that rescue techniques are not taught as well as they should be in basic courses. The members of this board would be well-served if they were to take this up as a crusade and put some pressure on the certification agencies to do something about it.

I tried unsuccessfully (over 30 years ago) to have NAUI beef up their rescue techniques instruction in the basic course.

Let's let them know what we want!

Welcome back to the world of the "living" Doc

Rich

This thread makes for a happy day!

Thanks for the update, you gave us all a pretty good scare. I'm sorry to hear that you're done with diving, but I have to say I can understand your reluctance. Difficult choice: refrain from diving or have your skull caved in with a frying pan...

I do hope that you will continue to drop in from time to time and share your thoughts and wisdom with us - cranky or not, you've made some valuable and enjoyable contributions here.

Steven

I came on board after your accident so this is my "Welcome" and "Welcome Back!"
The whole board was already praying for you when I arrived; I could feel the concern and the hopes through the posts.
I join all in a hearty and happy "Welcome Home, Paul."
E. itajara

Welcome back and thank you for sharing your experience. You had us really worried for a while - and it is good to see you posting again.

Your accident is a good example of why the rescue course should be taken - as a relatively new diver myself, I don't want to ever be the person someone made a mistake in deciding to dive with.

I had always planned on taking the rescue course in the future - your experience cements my decision to take it sooner rather than later.

You have been sorely missed here and I am so happy that you have let us know the story and that you are well.

I hope that even if you aren't diving anymore you will still stop by occationally and visit with us.

Chad

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom