A Major Step Backwards: Mares abandons the ICON NET Ready

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm glad they are keeping the Icon look and display. They problem that Mares had with the Icon was too low of a margin. The new computer looks to be more in line with a MSRP that could make the enough money to keep it in production. At least if my Icon dies and I can't find a working used model, there is a new replacement available.

I'm glad they are keeping the Icon look and display. They problem that Mares had with the Icon was too low of a margin. The new computer looks to be more in line with a MSRP that could make the enough money to keep it in production. At least if my Icon dies and I can't find a working used model, there is a new replacement available.
If you wanted to pay more for the same thing, you could have just given the dive shop an extra hundred when you bought it.

If you wanted to pay more for the same thing, you could have just given the dive shop an extra hundred when you bought it.

Didn't say I would buy a Genius. I have an Icon and it looked for a while like the Icon was being phased out. Now it looks like it just got a new name and any firmware updates for the Genius should work on my Icon as well. If my Icon crapped the bed I'd buy another Icon at $600 and not the new name at $900. But I'm not expecting that problem as the Icon has been rock solid.

It's not the same thing. It's a current production model. Unfortunately, the Icon is out of production, and if a suitable used model becomes unavailable, then current production is the only way to go.

I'm amazed you guys all seem to love the Icon. Mine has been nothing but trouble. The first one wouldn't turn on after about 6 months so they replaced it. The second one kept losing the date and time so I returned it again and was told I was SOL because the two years were up. But six months of that time were in shipping it to Mares and waiting for a response. The time was long because I live in Curacao and it took months for Mares to say they'd received it, who knows why. So they've offered me a Quad (non AI). No similar issues for you guys, hunh?

I'm amazed you guys all seem to love the Icon. Mine has been nothing but trouble. The first one wouldn't turn on after about 6 months so they replaced it. The second one kept losing the date and time so I returned it again and was told I was SOL because the two years were up. But six months of that time were in shipping it to Mares and waiting for a response. The time was long because I live in Curacao and it took months for Mares to say they'd received it, who knows why. So they've offered me a Quad (non AI). No similar issues for you guys, hunh?

Mine has been rock solid with no issues at all.

Nope. I had a non AI first, followed by the net ready. I used both for a lot of years and a lot of dives. They have performed flawlessly. Never had a problem with pairing. Done once and never had to do it again, even after removing the Icon battery and replacing it. Never lost communication. It's been rock solid.

If your's is loosing date and time I wonder if you are letting the battery completely discharge. I charge mine on a schedule so that it never gets to zero charge and I don't have that problem. It might be you and not the Icon.

My only complaint is that I'd like to get rid of the tank icon and just have large numbers for tank pressure.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom