A Major Step Backwards: Mares abandons the ICON NET Ready

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's net ready and without transmitter. Mares USA told me that the Icon transmitter will work with the Quad. The more I look at the Quad display, the more I like it. So I'd be selling off the Icon and buying a Quad. I'd just have to confirm with Mares that the hybrid rig would work.

Kharon,

My Icon is still working great (knock on wood - I should not have even said that with my Bonaire trip less than a week and a half away - kiss of death) so I am not in the market for a replacement/backup at this time. I can't believe you are willing to let yours go. I thought you were an ICON man until the end. However, I am glad your battery replacement was a success. That gives me hope that if I have to change the battery in the future that there is probably a good chance of success.

Yeah, the biggest thing is being gentle unattaching the connection. It's really straightforward. You should get the battery to bring on your trip - just in case.

It's net ready and without transmitter. Mares USA told me that the Icon transmitter will work with the Quad. The more I look at the Quad display, the more I like it. So I'd be selling off the Icon and buying a Quad. I'd just have to confirm with Mares that the hybrid rig would work.

Let me know what you'll be asking for it

While reading the Quad Air manual something finally connected. I was wondering why the menu system seemed so archaic and why the words looked so strainge. Then it hit me. They are using the old octal number display - not a graphic display. Holy Moses. Now I see ...

Sorry to have given you a false lead. I like the way the data is displayed but no way can I give up the clean graphic Icon interface. I'm keeping my Icon. Even with the tank graphic it beats the Quad Air into smitherenes.

While reading the Quad Air manual something finally connected. I was wondering why the menu system seemed so archaic and why the words looked so strainge. Then it hit me. They are using the old octal number display - not a graphic display. Holy Moses. Now I see ...

Sorry to have given you a false lead. I like the way the data is displayed but no way can I give up the clean graphic Icon interface. I'm keeping my Icon. Even with the tank graphic it beats the Quad Air into smitherenes.

Thank God you came to your senses in time !!! LOL

Thank God you came to your senses in time !!! LOL

Yeah. Couldn't see the trees for the forest - or something like that. I'm amazed that it took me so long to realize that they are using the number layout from the first calculators and digital alarm clocks. What was that - 1970ish? Surely much earlier for the clocks. It's like IBM bringing out a DOS computer this year. That would be a huge hit - NOT.

Nice looking computer...

Nice looking computer...

Doesn't look any different than the Icon. Identical except for the Genius on the case instead of Icon HD. I wonder if it's an Icon renamed and bundled with the LED transmitter. That would be nice because it would possibly mean additional firmware updates for the Icon.

I still desperately wish they would get rid of the colored tank graphic and make the psi number big. They could color the number as easily as the graphic tank and it would be far easier to read for us old guys. and still give the tank level at a glance.

BTW, Mares confirmed that the Quad led transmitter and the Icon transmitter are interchangable.

Sorry. I was being sarcastic. Gonna be hard to compete with Shearwater especially at that price point. (And with that interface).

Back
Top Bottom