A Lionfish Predator?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have never seen a dead snapper floating around Coz. I have asked many dms if they have also. Zero. To say that lion fish have no natural predators is the height of arrogance. Anything that eats them is natural in my view. And there are lots of predators eating them. I have had snappers follow me as others have and fed them the spoils. Difference with mine is I dont kill the lion fish. They are wounded. The snappers eats them while alive. Maybe you wont believe this but I look for markings on the snappers so I can tell if it is the same one on my subsequent dives. The same ones seemed to follow us. Same with a couple groupers. You cant tell me they are not learning to eat them. They are. The video is point blank proof. I am very pleased that there are positive people trying to do something to assist nature in this area of food source. I think that once they see how easy it is to get them they are doing it.

Firstdive, I think you and I talked about the same grouper following people on one of the dive sites earlier this year. I am thinking it was on Tunich, he followed us for about 20 minutes looking for a hand out.
So, in my opinion it is becoming obvious some species of fish are associating humans with a free meal. What is that free meal usually? Lionfish, which would mean that fish has eaten them before from people spearing them and has learned to develop an appetite for them.

I watched that video several times and that snapper sure looked like he was hunting to me and it would seem it isn't the first time. It looks like he maneuvered in to a position where the spines could be swallowed and knowing to do that to avoid the spines appears to be a learned behavior and that would mean he eats them without becoming distressed from it . Just my thoughts.

I have never seen a dead snapper floating around Coz. I have asked many dms if they have also. Zero. To say that lion fish have no natural predators is the height of arrogance. Anything that eats them is natural in my view. And there are lots of predators eating them. I have had snappers follow me as others have and fed them the spoils. Difference with mine is I dont kill the lion fish. They are wounded. The snappers eats them while alive. Maybe you wont believe this but I look for markings on the snappers so I can tell if it is the same one on my subsequent dives. The same ones seemed to follow us. Same with a couple groupers. You cant tell me they are not learning to eat them. They are. The video is point blank proof. I am very pleased that there are positive people trying to do something to assist nature in this area of food source. I think that once they see how easy it is to get them they are doing it.

Find a goldfish-sized lionfish. Swallow it. Write down your observations. Video would be nice, too.

Back
Top Bottom