A good idea for new divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think Natasha has made an excellent suggestion especially for new divers or even someone like me who has never been in saltwater but can do dark cold no viz freshwater diving. Things like surf, surge and various currents would be all new to me so having someone with that knew the ropes would be helpful IMHO.

OK, le me try to get this straight: if I go on a charter boat there is at least one Dive Master, right?

If I have no buddy, and all the others are coupled, I end up with the guide, right?

So why bother to pay for someone else when there is already someone who is professionally obliged to dive with me?

Diving is no cheap sport, why should I pay for an unneeded extra?

I can't imagine I was the only lucky one, in any event I've had my bad experiences, I went to see the DM or Instructor in charge and told him so with no reserve.

When I first dove in the open sea, I'm usually in quarries or artificial lakes, they put me with a young instructor who did a check dive with me and no one else, and ended up doing my Rescue course as well, but that's nothing to do with the matter at hand.

Im a new diver. I was just certified last month. Ive already taken my peak performance buoyancy class and will be taking my AOW class in about a month.

I havent any "real" dives under my belt yet, but as soon as the local lakes warm up Im hooking up with with a friend of mine who is a retired Navy Seal commander. He was Seal Team 6 when Seal Team 6 didnt exist (officially anyway). Then he got too old to be an active Seal (like 30) and became a Seal Team instructor. No offense to DM's here, but I think I'm in good hands.

Hoo Ya!

Chiara:
You are coming across a bit hostile in your post. There is no need for that.
If you use a DM guide, as your buddy, they are not dedicated to being just your buddy. They are watching the whole group. If someone else in the group is having trouble the DM/ guide/ your buddy/ will deal with the problem. And guess what... you.. are not being 100% taken care of, at the time they are taking care of the problem.
If you pay a seperate DM to be your buddy he/she will not also be a guide, and will be dedicated to you.
For a NEW diver, that does not have a buddy, this is another option, other then being paired with a pot luck buddy.
That is what the post was about.

Reading these posts has been good for me. I like Murdock325's questions he brought up. I enjoy things that get me thinking.

Diving for me has been a challenge since I have "under the water" issues. But I like challanges...and with the help of a GREAT instructor now I love to dive. I would actually love to be an instructor someday. Dive Master is just another step towards that...another step up the ladder. Maybe I could help people learn to enjoy diving as much as my instructor helped me to enjoy it. Interesting point...the Dive Master thing.

I relate greatly to jbd's comment! Low viz in the lakes in Idaho is all I know. That is my comfort zone....not being able to see my hand in front of my face, and at times, not even the torch. Within those limits of my diving, I am very confident now. Ocean....that's a whole different thing. Surfs, waves, currents....those are out of my training, and so for me, I will most likely find a DM in the ocean area I'm diving to go with me to help me out in an environment I don't feel trained in.

Natasha....Thanks for the post. It got my thinking going in a good way.

And yes, Murdock325....I hope to gain a lot of piece of mind. I guess I'll find out if it really works that way.

Great posts.

Mudguppy :confined:

Merely pay for my ticket to that exotic destination, room and meals and that will be sufficient compensation... :tease:

Aww fiddlesticks NetDoc,

I just knew you would pick up on that line of thought. Oh well(said with a sigh) so much for a cheap DM if we make it to Florida this year.

Of course if you don't dive the low viz Florida lakes I could DM for you in the lakes and then you could DM for me in the ocean. Now is that a fair trade or what?

Seriously NetDoc--are those Florida lakes divable?

However, it has been determined that the muck on the bottom is a conglomerate of fish, gator and turtle poop... :tease:

Public amend needed on my part here.

Natacha, I didn't mean to be insulting, although now, rereading my posts it does appear to be like that.

I still think a redundant Dive Master is not worth spending extra money for, it probably all amounts to a somewhat different attitude towards the dive industry.

From where I come, and where I've been diving up to now, there are few if any Americans, probably too far away or too expensive, the Germans, the British and the Japanese certainly look at things a bit differently, not better, just different.

Sorry again!

careful now putting the Germans, the British and the Japanese together......:boom:

Don't know about the Germans but being a Brit in Japan I would say we're very different from each other.

I too was waiting for NetDoc as I was reading this, especially as I was having the same thoughts. Will work locally though for beer and bacon butties........

Back
Top Bottom