A good idea for new divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diving in Florida lakes can be a lot of fun or it can be a mess.

There are a couple of hazards that need to be considered.

First, gators, generally gators leave people alone but there are some places that have agressive gators from human feeding or harasment. Local knowledge is key here.
Very soon it will be gator breading season and they will be much more of a problem.

Second is chemical/biological contamination. Most of the lakes here are fine for diving but there are some that are not. In some of the lakes you are OK in the water but if you get into the muck at the bottom you will end up with some nasties.
Lake Apopka is one example.
You can use a dry suit with dry gloves and a dry helmet but that is not normal scuba gear. Often the water is so warm that it is easy to overheat in even a shell dry suit.

Oddly enough most of the retention ponds are not bad to dive in with vis of one inch to as much as a couple of feet, rarely any gators and rarely any significant contamination.

OTOH the springs and ocean in FL are fantastic with great vis, lots to see and do, warm water and generally easy access.

michael

Chiara:
I'll forgive you if you send me some of those Belgium chocolates!
Mmmmm
As for NetDoc and IguanaDon: Pay no attention to those men behind the curtain. They are out for trouble.

:gorgeous:

For a new diver a dive Master buddy would have these benefits

1. Increase your confidence and safety
2. Give a good example of what a buddy should do
3. Provide an opportunity to learn something

The cons would be
1. More expense
2. Miss the opportunity to dive with other new divers and make new friends.

I guess it depends on what is important to you and what stage you are at with your diving.
Even an experienced diver may feel like having a DM with them when undertaking a new area of expertise.

This brings up a good point.

It is a very good thing to have only one member of the buddy team expanding their comfort level at a time.

Example, on your first dive to 100' find a buddy who has several dives to 100' and is familar and comfortable there. This way you are far less likely to both get into trouble at same time.

What about someone who is a new OW diver paired with another new OW diver? Try combining skills practice with fun sightseeing.
Example, do a dive with a 30-40' bottom and try to get your boyancy to the point where you can hover over the bottom without moving any of your body parts. See how long you can stay motionless without bumping into anything. This is a great skill and at the same time, the longer you stay still the more critters will come over to check you out.

Most of the places we dive (sport), if you stay still there will be no end of things to see.

Oh BTW, the more you stay still, the longer you air will last. :)

michael

Originally posted by chiara
OK, le me try to get this straight: if I go on a charter boat there is at least one Dive Master, right? If I have no buddy, and all the others are coupled, I end up with the guide, right?...

Not necessarily so. Yes on most charters there is a DM - but not all. If you end up on the boat without a buddy, you don't necessarily end up with the DM as your buddy. I've been on charters with no DMs, and with an "odd" number of divers, divers have been asked to triple up.

If you want to have a safe FUN experience, I agree with Natasha, hiring a local experienced diver to be your buddy is not a bad idea.

Though I do like NetDoc's suggestion.... "Merely pay for my ticket to that exotic destination, room and meals and that will be sufficient compensation"... and no I do not think a gator filled water way is an exotic destination.. :D

Though I do like NetDoc's suggestion.... "Merely pay for my ticket to that exotic destination, room
and meals and that will be sufficient compensation"... and no I do not think a gator filled water way
is an exotic destination..

Of course a gator filled water way is not an exotic destination.
It is my OFFICE!
:D

michael

Originally posted by pipedope
Of course a gator filled water way is not an exotic destination. It is my OFFICE! :D

You're a braver soul than I. Seeing those critters up close (in a zoo) or sunning itself across the water... was close enough for me.

I've always thought working for the gov't had it's share of sharks and unwanted critters, but gators... as I said you're braver than I.

Than a GATOR!!!

Gators can get curious, but I have NEVER heard of them attacking a diver down here... ever! They are opportunistic but are downright cowards. You really have to be quite a bit smaller than them for them to be interested. River diving has provided quite a few "encounters" with them, and as of yet while they provide a good startle now and then, they rarely ever approach me... except for a 10/12 footer, and I think she was romantically inclined. One push of the purge valve, and her advances were history.

GO
GATORS!!!

Originally posted by NetDoc
Gators can get curious, but I have NEVER heard of them attacking a diver down here ever! ... they rarely ever approach me... except for a 10/12 footer, and I think she was romantically inclined. One push of the purge valve, and her advances were history.

Well it's good to know that, but like sharks for you, I think gators are something I have a fear/healthy respect of...

So that's how you fend off unwanted attention of critters .... I must remember the trick :tease:

Back
Top Bottom