A good idea for new divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would much rather deal with gators than those critters in government any day.

It is not that hard to tell if a particular bit of water has gators. There are three things that must be present for a gator to take up residence;
1. Food source, usually fish and small animals.
2. A place to hide under water.
3. A place to hide out of the water.

The only gators that get agressive with humans have either been given food by people or have been harrased by people.

There is one pond out at the Cape that has a nasty gator that actually attacked a ROV. The gator had been teased by people and developed a real attitude.

michael

If for some reason you don't have a dive buddy when you are on a charter trip and a rent - a - DM is available I would go for it. OTOH, if you opt to dive with the charter's DM (guide) I would try to observe others in the group and see if their skill sets are comparable to what you expect and then during the SI, I would approach them and explore the possibilities of buddying up on the next dive. That way you also have the chance to mingle and meet new friends. :wink:

I decided that $25 was a small price to pay to make sure I was safe and alive after my first drift dive.

I've read the discussion on using a DM as a paid dive buddy with interest. I'm only new to diving, but I'd always aim to commence any diving experience with a buddy I know and trust. (Not to say I don't trust DMs - please don't go away with that idea). I just feel that it's worth making a clear arrangement with someone you know to ensure that ALL your divetime is spent in activity you will enjoy (unforeseen events notwithstanding).

If you dive with a DM (and I like many of the arguments supporting the original idea) you're both going to spend some time sizing each other up and getting an impression of how each of you prefers to do things.

i think that everyone probably has their own opinion on the subject, and if you enjoy it, great, if you don't great! if you love to dive, you will find ways around obstacles.:)

Kayla:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom