A good BC for a growing teen...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zeagle's Concept II would be my recommendation. It's extremely adjustable and has a build quality that will keep up with the years.

Hello,
I own a Poseidon Besea W50, and is by far the best BCD I've tried, if your LDS sells them, maybe you can inspect one and decide if the manufacture and materials quality are worth the extra price, I was pretty impressed when got mine for the first time! scubapros and mares I was renting before never looked the same to me :wink:
In adition, configuration and adjustability on these systems is nearly infinite, you can add d-rings (damn solid steel ones! they look built to attach the dive boat), pockets, weight pockets, dual tank adapter, and so on... And if you get bored you can even buy the backplate and hogartian harness accesories and configure a BP/W system.

I can't be happier with the W50 so I highly recommend it! If you think is too much for a beginner maybe you can consider the cheaper W40 (smaller wing and simpler harness). They both are adjustable to all sizes, and I mean ALL, as I am a 190cm, 95kg guy (sorry, don't have a conversion table to imperial measures), and have also adjusted it to my girlfriend needs (159cm, 55kg) with no problems...

Only drawback I found on those systems is they come as IKEA furnitures :wink: and you have to put all the pieces together.

Geoff_H:
I am sure I'll be the first of many to recommend a backplate/wing setup. It is truely infinitely adjustable, modular and cheaper/the same price as a jacket BCD.

In addition to helping you achieve good trim, it is trivial to reign in/let out the webbing as he changes size and shape. Worst case is you stump up another 30 bucks for a new set of webbing if he puts on a huge growth spurt and the stuff you cut short/neat doesn't fit any more...

Your son prefers integrated weights - I can understand. I put my weights on tank pouches and have dived the last 100 dives or so without a belt - the feeling of freedom it gives is a huge plus for me.

This is my recommendation, the first of many I am sure :)

I could not agree more !!!!

Ron

I'm going with the backplate and wing, also. I've tried everything too! It can be adjusted with age and growth.

I just made this recommendation to a lady this weekend. A first time user was sold!

When I first started in diving...I, of course, what taught with the jacket style BCD. Upon being certified and buying my own equipment, I went with a DR BCD with the wing. I ABSOLUTELY loved it! I felt much more"free" in the water. I know the older style had straps that could be replaced if one broke or by a young diver who was growing...they actually had a program where they would replace the straps up until the child reached 16, but I am not sure about that one anymore!! I too am headed toward a BP/W setup soon....so.....it's got my vote

Strahd:
Hello,
I own a Poseidon Besea W50, and is by far the best BCD I've tried...
In adition, configuration and adjustability on these systems is nearly infinite, you can add d-rings (damn solid steel ones! they look built to attach the dive boat), pockets, weight pockets, dual tank adapter, and so on... And if you get bored you can even buy the backplate and hogartian harness accesories and configure a BP/W system.

I saw one of these last year. I must say I wasn't impressed.

Too much fabric, the wing is too big for a single tank (50 or 40 lbs for a single tank, hello there marketing department, earth calling...), chest D rings had some rust (?), and generally nothing too special about it for a high price.

If one is looking for a BP/W, then this is really not something worth looking into, there are far better and optimized setups (especially for single tank diving) for less money.

I remember one of my instructors saying that DiveRite had a deal with the transpac II where a growing kid could exchange parts out for larger sizes as needed for no charge. There might be an age limit on that, but it may be worth looking into.

Dive Rite makes a harness that is fully adjustable so it will grow with your dive buddy.

Then you just buy the parts you need for the type of diving you do. I have a large back inflation bladder that threads right on under the tank. To be intagrated just buy the weight pouches and thread them on to the harness belt.

It's the most adjustable system I have seen with out making your own rig.

evil_xander:
I saw one of these last year. I must say I wasn't impressed.

Too much fabric, the wing is too big for a single tank (50 or 40 lbs for a single tank, hello there marketing department, earth calling...), chest D rings had some rust (?), and generally nothing too special about it for a high price.

If one is looking for a BP/W, then this is really not something worth looking into, there are far better and optimized setups (especially for single tank diving) for less money.

Well, I wrote that based on my experience as owner of one of those BCD, of course, what impressed me should not necessarily impress others :wink:

This is not a common model out there, I just know two other people who own one as mine... and they are as happy as I am (one of them is a LDS owner, so he has lots of other BCD to compare with), but of course... maybe we are the only three happy owners of a W50.

Opinions are like *******s, every one has one and thinks other ones are disgusting...

I'd highly recommend ANY Zealge BC. The size range and fit range is amazing. I think my medium Stiletto can fit someone from 135lbs to maybe 210lbs and a height range of anywhere from 5'6" to maybe 6'. You can also swap the shoulder straps and extend the height range farther.

I'm NOT going to throw in my hat with the BP/W crowd. I do dive a BP/W, but I just don't see that as the end all of BC's especially for tropical diving. BP/W's are not inexpensive, and when you have laid out the $400~$600 for a setup you still have to get a weight belt, and maybe pockets. The DUI belt system people are recommending are $100, and a good weight belt is going to run $30. Add on pockets are also expensive for what they are, and start at around $20. Many don't use pockets, but they can be handy. BP/W's are heavy to travel with unless you get an AL plate.

There are some advantages, but IMO unless you have a specific reason to dive a BP/W there is really no reason to limit yourself to that option just because a bunch of vocal BP/W advocates on SB outnumber the silent majority. The reason I like diving with a BP/W is that it puts 12lbs+ on my back. When diving dry (cold) I like having the weight on my back rather than stuffed in pockets.

A second reason to get a BP/W would be if you were planning on diving doubles in the future.

Back
Top Bottom