A FB friend posted his brother died today in Ginnie Springs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dedicate tanks to specific gases. Permanently mark them with MOD. Look at the MOD prior to breathing it. Do not breath a tank deeper than its MOD.

Works with 1 tank. Works with 30 tanks.

Dedicate tanks to specific gases. Permanently mark them with MOD. Look at the MOD prior to breathing it. Do not breath a tank deeper than its MOD.

Works with 1 tank. Works with 30 tanks.

Or analyze, mark, and date every tank. Mod tanks are great, but a piece of duct tape on the neck is two minutes to save your life. No brainer.

Thats a given. I guess my post should have a bit more detailed.

Dedicate tanks to specific gases. Permanently mark them with MOD. Make sure the analysis ( with x.y%, date, initials at the neck of the tank) matches the MOD before you take it out of the fill station. Do not put a reg on a tank that does not have current analysis and corresponding permanent MOD. Look at the MOD prior to breathing it. Do not breath a tank deeper than its MOD.

Shouldn't matter what how many you have, each should be dated and labelled with the pressure and appropriate MOD as soon as it's filled.

Gee, really? Never knew that.

Back on Earth, if you don't have two identical looking oxygen bottles it becomes that much harder to fill one with air and then grab the other. Do I generally only use my stage tanks within their marked MODs? Yes. Do I have a simply unlimited number of stage-rigged O2 clean tanks such that I can cover the entire range of possible MODs? No. Aside from the tanks dedicated to fixed deco blends, the rest look alike and get filled, analyzed, and used as needed.

Should I never manage to grab the wrong tank? Yes. Do I think it's possible for me to screw that one up anyway? Yes. Multiple avenues of preventing the same failure are a good thing.

imasinker, thanks for posting.

We should all read his post. The pain that is in it is one of the reasons for being careful. You may be willing to take chances with your own safety, but it's not you who will be suffering if you die -- it's your family, your wife, your kids, your best friend . . . It takes so little time to analyze tanks. Do it for the people who love you, if you won't do it for yourself.

Dr. Lecter, why would you put air in an o2 bottle?

I have several identical stage-rigged bottles; a few are dedicated to specific deco blends and MOD-labeled accordingly. The rest are there to provide flexibility: maybe I need a stage for 200', maybe I need a stage for 90', or maybe I need a second bottle of 80% deco mix at the ready because I have several big dives back to back and won't have time to order another blend between them.

I'd be lying if I said I affixed and scraped off standard MOD markings for the latter type of tanks every time I changed what I was using them for, though I do analyze and label each bottle/set of doubles for O2 and CO before I load it up. I rarely if ever dive with a buddy, so what's in my tanks is between me and my maker and I can avoid the hassle of analyzing at the site. With a relatively small number of tanks, I think this system is pretty bullet-proof; a few more tanks and a fill station, and I can see the chances of error growing.

The first and best line of defense is never putting a reg on a tank you haven't personally analyzed and labeled; theoretically, that should preclude you from ever grabbing the wrong tank. But as this thread shows, mistakes do happen.

I have several identical stage-rigged bottles; a few are dedicated to specific deco blends and MOD-labeled accordingly. The rest are there to provide flexibility: maybe I need a stage for 200', maybe I need a stage for 90', or maybe I need a second bottle of 80% deco mix at the ready because I have several big dives back to back and won't have time to order another blend between them.

I'd be lying if I said I affixed and scraped off standard MOD markings for the latter type of tanks every time I changed what I was using them for, though I do analyze and label each bottle/set of doubles for O2 and CO before I load it up. I rarely if ever dive with a buddy, so what's in my tanks is between me and my maker and I can avoid the hassle of analyzing at the site. With a relatively small number of tanks, I think this system is pretty bullet-proof; a few more tanks and a fill station, and I can see the chances of error growing.

The first and best line of defense is never putting a reg on a tank you haven't personally analyzed and labeled; theoretically, that should preclude you from ever grabbing the wrong tank. But as this thread shows, mistakes do happen.

i'm not a real tech diver, but MY oxygen bottles into which ONLY 100% OXYGEN goes are ugly and labeled out the wazoo (albeit with redneck duct tape) as to OXYGEN. I view those bottles as potential DEATH and want anyone who might think of grabbing it in an emergency to have more warning than a sticker on the neck. I've painted several old steel 71.2's in the ugliest green Home depot could muster (and then label with White Out) .. but that's just me.

Carlos' stage bottles were all similar looking. Some marked with a 70, the rest marked as oxygen 20. Before his Doria trip, all of them were filled with 50% and 100% respective to the permanent markings on the bottles. They were then analyzed and marked with duct tape as that was the routine. The duct tape labels were always removed before filling and new ones made at analysis time.

He went on the Doria trip a few weeks ago. Conditions were rough, so the group didn't get all of the planned dives in. He brought home some full bottles and some not full bottles.

That much i can say with certainty. What I assume happened next is that he filled one or more of the low bottles with air, brought it home and placed it with the full o2 bottles. When packing to go to Florida, must have grabbed the wrong tank.

That is how I have pieced it together in my head. I could be wrong about the last part, but my guess is that there is an air bottle in his garage.

Carlos was a very close friend of mine. I met him 4 years ago, while on a charter in Tobermory. We got along immediately and have gone on many great adventures since then.

When I got news of the tragedy, i was shocked. The Carlos I know always checked and double checked his mixes. I would know, because i was usually with him while mixing. I am at a loss as to how he let this happen.

One way or another, Carlos was a kind, generous person who would drop everything to help anyone who ever asked. He was a huge promoter of the sport and always encouraged newer divers, without ever being judgemental.

To call someone an idiot is harsh and disrespectful. Family and friends often find their way into these threads. The last thing they need to see is the mud slinging that is going on. He made a mistake and paid with his life. He doesn't need to pay with his dignity.

I will always miss you and remember the good times.

Carlos' stage bottles were all similar looking. Some marked with a 70, the rest marked as oxygen 20. Before his Doria trip, all of them were filled with 50% and 100% respective to the permanent markings on the bottles. They were then analyzed and marked with duct tape as that was the routine. The duct tape labels were always removed before filling and new ones made at analysis time.

He went on the Doria trip a few weeks ago. Conditions were rough, so the group didn't get all of the planned dives in. He brought home some full bottles and some not full bottles.

That much i can say with certainty. What I assume happened next is that he filled one or more of the low bottles with air, brought it home and placed it with the full o2 bottles. When packing to go to Florida, must have grabbed the wrong tank.

That is how I have pieced it together in my head. I could be wrong about the last part, but my guess is that there is an air bottle in his garage.

Carlos was a very close friend of mine. I met him 4 years ago, while on a charter in Tobermory. We got along immediately and have gone on many great adventures since then.

When I got news of the tragedy, i was shocked. The Carlos I know always checked and double checked his mixes. I would know, because i was usually with him while mixing. I am at a loss as to how he let this happen.

One way or another, Carlos was a kind, generous person who would drop everything to help anyone who ever asked. He was a huge promoter of the sport and always encouraged newer divers, without ever being judgemental.

To call someone an idiot is harsh and disrespectful. Family and friends often find their way into these threads. The last thing they need to see is the mud slinging that is going on. He made a mistake and paid with his life. He doesn't need to pay with his dignity.

I will always miss you and remember the good times.

This is as close I could understand the mess up would happen when picking up a tank from home.
Carlos borrowed many tanks for this pinnacle trip, even one of my al80.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom