A drag issue : to bungee wings or not to bungee

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't question the incident that Dan is citing, nor do I question that bungees may have played a large role in a tragic incident, however from what I read of his account, it really seems like bungees are just a scapegoat for a larger problem which was extremely poor preparation.

Sure, not having a bungeed wing could have prevented that incident. But it could've prevented it just as much as being properly weighted. As being properly experienced. Properly geared in a drysuit. Properly turning around when the temperature reached an unreasonable point.

Bungees were a factor, but they alone did NOT cause the deaths as stated before. Had any of the above factors been changed, there is probably a decent chance that more than just one person would've made it back.

Also, ScottL, if you're not a DIR diver disregard this but isn't one of the tenants of DIR to do only what you understand and make sense? You make it seem as if you are absolved of responsibility for understanding the principles behind a belief so long as the people you list purport it. I hope you're being facetious.

I'm not a tech diver at all, and am still infact a relatively new diver. However I can't help but feel that the focus of accident reviews like the one Dan posted is in the wrong place.

I don't question the incident that Dan is citing, nor do I question that bungees may have played a large role in a tragic incident, however from what I read of his account, it really seems like bungees are just a scapegoat for a larger problem which was extremely poor preparation.

Sure, not having a bungeed wing could have prevented that incident. But it could've prevented it just as much as being properly weighted. As being properly experienced. Properly geared in a drysuit. Properly turning around when the temperature reached an unreasonable point.

Bungees were a factor, but they alone did NOT cause the deaths as stated before. Had any of the above factors been changed, there is probably a decent chance that more than just one person would've made it back.

Also, ScottL, if you're not a DIR diver disregard this but isn't one of the tenants of DIR to do only what you understand and make sense? You make it seem as if you are absolved of responsibility for understanding the principles behind a belief so long as the people you list purport it. I hope you're being facetious.

I'm not a tech diver at all, and am still infact a relatively new diver. However I can't help but feel that the focus of accident reviews like the one Dan posted is in the wrong place.

Len,
I did try to make a strong point that really bad planning was the biggest cause of this tragedy.
And while this is not the forum for accident discussion, the thread had been going on forever with people discounting the danger, saying bungees could not be shown to be contributory to any dive accidents, except in wild conjectures.....I do believe this WPB incident, would show bungees as a very significant contributory cause...and therefore, it did need to be posted into this discussion. Facts were being called for, so was I supposed to keep this secret ? :)

Regards,
DanV

Understood :) And thanks for posting it again.

At the very least, what I will take away from this discussion is a better understanding of the potential of bungees to cause risk. As you said, for rec divers it really doesn't matter, but it's also important to me to know my gear and what consequences it can cause, maybe not now but in the future.

Len,
I did try to make a strong point that really bad planning was the biggest cause of this tragedy.
And while this is not the forum for accident discussion, the thread had been going on forever with people discounting the danger, saying bungees could not be shown to be contributory to any dive accidents, except in wild conjectures.....I do believe this WPB incident, would show bungees as a very significant contributory cause...and therefore, it did need to be posted into this discussion. Facts were being called for, so was I supposed to keep this secret ? :)

Regards,
DanV

What depth was the dive?

whats with all the "bingoing"

- sorry, i was just reading through the thread again and noticed there was a lot of bingo comments. thought it was funny. haha

don't worry about it no-shirt!
:D

haha

great pic by the way of you diving. I always liked that photo when i saw it. Maybe someday if I get rid of my bungees we can dive together.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom