A day in the new life

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mjatkins

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I have been trying to write this post for several hours now, and each time I do, it becomes a novel. The short version is that my wife and I became open water divers here in Cozumel in 2001. Since then we have both gone on to become instructors and instructor trainers. (IDC STAFF and and a Course Director). We have done the majority or our recreational training with Blue Angel, from Open Water through Divemaster, and after becoming professional DMs and Instructors we have done the vast majority of our teaching at Blue Angel as well. We launched the Blue Angel Scuba School a few years ago, and I am very proud of the success that we had. Revenues and numbers of certifications aside, it went from being a PADI affiliated shop to a school where a instructors can become trained. Our hearts went into that venture.

And now, almost 12 years, several thousand dives, a home purchase, some disappointments, many dear friends, and a some heartbreaks later it has come to a conclusion. :) Tomorrow is my last day on the island. I have taken a job as the Course Director/Manager a dive centre in Victoria, Canada, where I believe the best cool water diving in the world is.

Tomorrow I am going to get up and take care of some details with the house, then I'm going to the beach with my wife!!!

This island and the people connected to that shop have been such a huge part of our life and identity for so long, that I am not sure what to say to try to mark this event, but I feel compelled to say something. There are so many people that deserve a heart felt goodbye, but life doesn't always allow for such sentimentality. So what I am left with is a 1am glass of Chianti, and a walk down memory lane. All in all this has been one hell of a story. I have met some incredible people, and seen unbelievable things. I have also met some raging idiots, and again, seen some unbelievable things :)

Come see us up on Vancouver Island and we'll show you why it is such amazing diving. But if that doesn't work out, hopefully we will see each other again somewhere else. And if not, so long and thanks for all the fish.

Congrats! Include a address and maybe we can all chip in to get you a snow shovel as a going away present? Or a towel?

:)

Seriously, congrats!!

Wow! Gobsmacked. All the very best to you and Kari. Welcome back home.

Congratulations & may the journey go as planned. Don't rush back because they are forecasting lots of rain today & tomorrow but at least it isn't snowing there. Again GOOD LUCK on a great new adventure.

While I'm still a bit stunned at the idea of a professional scuba diver with a home in Cozumel moving to Canada, I hope it works out well for you and you really enjoy it.

Richard.

Man, we will miss you by less than a week. Best of luck Mathew. We enjoyed diving with you and Kari and we are so glad that you were the one to introduce scuba to our nieces. Not everyone gets to say that they dove with George Clooney.

Some good news to add to this is that you'll be able to follow hockey again.

We'll get that game of Hearts in someday.

Cheers

Curious, which shop in Victoria?

I am the new manager at Ogden Point Dive Centre. I will be in the shop as of Monday morning, getting up to speed, and learning the ropes. Please drop by and say hi. I look forward to meeting everyone.

Matthew

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom