A couple of reg questions (choosing and servicing)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Freeflyer

Reaction score
Hi, My wife and I have been an occasional divers for the past few years, got our Padi advanced open water and bought the basic kit (mask, fins, snorkel, bcd) but have only been diving on holidays. Our dive experience has been limited to warm water, except for our original open water course that was done in an English quarry in December with frost on the ground and a leaking drysuit. I plan to stay in the warm water for now. I currently only dive air, but plan to try
Nitrox at some point in the next couple of years.

Now we're about to move to Malaysia, and will be diving MUCH more regularly from now on (probably at least every couple of weeks. We plan to buy regs before we leave the US. We were planning on using air 2's for a spare but may go the DIR route instead. However, I have a couple of questions on main regs.

The latest Rodale's (yeah, I know, I've never been sure about their review section) has a reg review that I've been through, and I liked the look of the Zeagle Envoy (simple, cheap, works well). Can anyone offer some comments on this unit. Any others that would be worth considering.

I've had several recommendations for scubapro regs, but not sure what's to choose between the different models. Don't know anything about apeks

Also, as we move country every 3 years or so, I'm very interested in learning to overhaul our regs myself, as I won't have the option of always knowing who's a reputable tech. Are certain brands better for getting spares and information for overhauls.

thanks for any advice you can offer.

J.

Ok, here goes...

You will be in Malaysia soon??? Don't buy an AIR2. THe parts might be harder to come buy out there, and the techs might not know how to service them IF something goes wrong.

Do yourself a favor, and get a standard octo. (and, BTW, my recommendation has nothing to do with DIR).

Also, I would recommend Apeks. Less problems, easier to service, and more reliable...

Do more research, and find out more about Apeks...

is hard to beat for parts access worldwide.

If you DO go their way, and intend to dive warm water, the piston regs (Mk25) are nice. I am NOT a fan of their diaphram regs.

If you want a diaphram, I'd strongly consider Apeks, as was noted. Their sealed ones are good for both warm AND cold water.

I have no idea what parts availability will be in remote places though.

For seconds I REALLY like the older Scubapro G250s. Damn near bulletproof, easy to fix (yourself if you need to) and parts are readily available. The Apeks are good regs in the "new" model department, but again, I have no idea what parts access is like where you're headed.

I would choose whatever reg is easier
to service in Malaysia....

Zeagle is a good reg but I know that
in my area of Florida there is only one
place that services it....I dont know
how many places in Malaysia could service
it

Apeks and SP would probably more easy to
service over there...

Singapore has several good dive shops so service there should be easy. Apek are bomb proof and easily serviced. Unless diving daily you should be able to get away with yearly service on Apeks regs. I would suggest the ATX50 and with the money you save over buying two ATX200 buy a third first and second stage as a reserve.

I always carry a second reg when by myself and 1 for every 3 people when in a group. I also regularly switch out and dive my back up (or is it a backup?) it is the same as my main reg. I use the Aqualung Micra Adj and have for many years. I have looked around and if I changed it would be the newer smaller Apeks.

Service is not hard but without some training and equipment more than emergency fixes on the second stage are beyond the tools of a regular diver. I suggest the back up reg route.

Thankyou all for your replies. Having not heard of apeks before, I've spent a couple of days on the board researching and decided to go with a pair of atx50's. I'm still not decided between a secondary reg (atx40) or an octo+, but I have a lot more information with which to base my decision.

I've found (through the board) a dealership for apeks in Singapore, which will be close enough to get servicing done, but plan to learn to do it myself eventually. May even be able to attend a course. Found a great site (again through this board) that has all the service details for apeks.

Just wanted to say thanks once again.

J.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom