A compassionate instructor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It only took 160 posts but I just got it: Some of us don't care so much about the written law, we care about what works.
Not to be disrespectful to those on the other side of the fence but I am reminded that in law there is always the letter and the intent. Sometimes I have heard it said "you know the price of everything, but not the value".
I also respect other peoples right to see things differently.

I started this thread because I thought you guys would be happy for the experience my son enjoyed. I had no idea that the bureaucrats would nitpick it to death. Had I known what the reaction would be, I would never have submitted the post. From now on, I'll keep our experiences to myself.
Hey Paladin:

Don't do that. I enjoyed reading about your son and I can certainly relate to what a good time he had and, in all likelihood, how positive you and the experience will be on the rest of his life. I start 6 year olds on a long hose in my hot tub, so when I hear "rules" arguments I sometimes get a little bored.

See, there's two type of folks on this board. Those that DO and those that DON'T, but sure want to tell you about how WRONG you are for doing it.

You obviously are in the first category.

Curious thing I happen to know. Jacques Cousteau taught his son, Philippe, how to dive at age 5. By age 7, he was accompanying his father on world-wide expeditions and diving almost daily.

I'm thinking "instructors" and "certifications" weren't around back then and Philippe probably had a MUCH harder time than kids today on his check-out dives, LOL.

So, keep up the GREAT work, don't doubt yourself and POST SOME PICTURES!

As for the hype, well, it's just that...

Because my intent was to tell of the instructor's generosity and humanity. I had no idea that I would have to write a textbook or a detailed, second-by-second report to satisfy nitpicking bureaucrats. I honestly did not consider the little details important to the primary story. It never even occurred to me that anyone would twist my post into a prolonged, ongoing argument about legalities that actually had no bearing on the story. Besides, I offered the pertinent details early on but it seems they were largely ignored.

But I have learned my lesson. From now on, I will carefully censor and edit any and all future posts to avoid being dogpiled in the future.

I'm sorry this thread spiraled out of control. Thanks again for your original post, I still think it is a heart warming story.

And congrats on getting your kids into diving. It will be wonderful for all of you.

Best wishes.

This past weekend, my youngest son (11 years old) and I accompanied my oldest son to his OW SCUBA class. My little one had hoped to be able to take the class but, while he can snorkel quite well, he lacks the stamina needed for the swim test. We have been going to the city pool for him to practice, but he isn't quite ready yet.

Anyway, on Saturday, we sat by the pool and watched the class. Junior was obviously disappointed at seeing his big brother in the water and not being able to join in. This was not unnoticed by the instructor. When we arrived at the LDS on Sunday morning, there were two extra sets of equipment waiting by the pool. One set was a small BC with this little set of double 30s strapped to it.

The instructor told me that while Junior wasn't quite ready for the OW class, he could still participate in a DSD session in the meantime. "What a brilliant suggestion!" I exclaimed as Junior's eyes lit up. "I had no idea that was even an option. What will those clever PADI bureaucrats think of next?" I had barely signed the DSD waiver by the time Junior had gleefully donned the doubles, eager to get in the water with the others. While the rest of the class went about their lessons, Junior and I swam around on the bottom and just had fun while both the instructor and DM supervised from just a few feet away.

The experience hooked Junior on SCUBA and he is now even more determined than ever to get his C-card. To any other parents out there whose kids aren't quite ready for OW scuba lessons, I encourage them to sign up for a DSD session, or even the PADI Seal Team program, which counts towards their eventual OW certification.

:D

Because my intent was to tell of the instructor's generosity and humanity. I had no idea that I would have to write a textbook or a detailed, second-by-second report to satisfy nitpicking bureaucrats. I honestly did not consider the little details important to the primary story. It never even occurred to me that anyone would twist my post into a prolonged, ongoing argument about legalities that actually had no bearing on the story. Besides, I offered the pertinent details early on but it seems they were largely ignored.

But I have learned my lesson. From now on, I will carefully censor and edit any and all future posts to avoid being dogpiled in the future.

Isn't it time someone from this board calls P954 a "TROLL" who should have know the probable outcome of the initial post :shakehead::shakehead: :rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

This past weekend, my youngest son (11 years old) and I accompanied my oldest son to his OW SCUBA class. My little one had hoped to be able to take the class but, while he can snorkel quite well, he lacks the stamina needed for the swim test. We have been going to the city pool for him to practice, but he isn't quite ready yet.

Anyway, on Saturday, we sat by the pool and watched the class. Junior was obviously disappointed at seeing his big brother in the water and not being able to join in. This was not unnoticed by the instructor. When we arrived at the LDS on Sunday morning, there were two extra sets of equipment waiting by the pool. One set was a small BC with this little set of double 30s strapped to it.

The instructor told me that while Junior wasn't quite ready for the OW class, he could still participate in a DSD session in the meantime. "What a brilliant suggestion!" I exclaimed as Junior's eyes lit up. "I had no idea that was even an option. What will those clever PADI bureaucrats think of next?" I had barely signed the DSD waiver by the time Junior had gleefully donned the doubles, eager to get in the water with the others. While the rest of the class went about their lessons, Junior and I swam around on the bottom and just had fun while both the instructor and DM supervised from just a few feet away.

The experience hooked Junior on SCUBA and he is now even more determined than ever to get his C-card. To any other parents out there whose kids aren't quite ready for OW scuba lessons, I encourage them to sign up for a DSD session, or even the PADI Seal Team program, which counts towards their eventual OW certification.

:D

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn: You are right,, P954 probably should loose his posting privledges until he can spew out polished BS like that..:D:D....

If there is no regulation against giving gear to a certified diver with the knowledge that they will allow an uncertified diver to use it, what is the point of certifications?

The point of certifications is to make money for the agency issuing the certifications and to provide liability shields to those who assist others in pursuing a potentially dangerous hobby.

Money for a company and money for an attorney. That's the only point to it at all.

And a parent sharing a child's wonder at it all doesn't enter into the equation.:shakehead:

I had that joy with my son (but then I'm an instructor).

My Dad had that joy with me (he wasn't an instructor, but in 1956, who was).

Cousteau had that joy with both of his sons (he wasn't an instructor, but did invent it). Diving at a very early age was a bond that Philippe and I shared and that we talked about many times.

Eugenie Clark had that joy with all four of her kids (she wasn't an instructor).

Sylvia Earle had that joy with all three of her kids (she wasn't an instructor).

Lighten up, even if you aren't one, there are people out there capable of making a decision without the interference of an "agency."

Last edited:
RJP:

One more time.

Junior is eleven years old. No violation here.

I signed the waiver. No violation here.

The DM was in the pool, just a few feet away and not involved with the class as the instructor was handling that. The DM was there to keep an eye on everyone. Including my son and myself. The pool is only 20 feet by forty feet. No violation there, either.

I started this thread because I thought you guys would be happy for the experience my son enjoyed. I had no idea that the bureaucrats would nitpick it to death. Had I known what the reaction would be, I would never have submitted the post. From now on, I'll keep our experiences to myself.

I think most people are happy for your son, just feel there may have been a better way to implement his experience. I am glad he is excited about SCUBA, and has a lifetime of diving ahead of him. He has a special dad who cares about his sons and that he enjoys sharing SCUBA with his sons, just saying logistically, there was a better way to do it.

Last edited:
Taking a great story and turning into a navel gazing legalistic exercise in liability and risk management thumping one's chest and moralizing about how the instructor wasn't upholding whatever instructor code folks think was violated just frankly misses the point. And goes to show in a big way why far too many diving instruction sessions have devolved into performing a set of rote exercises and have largely become devoid of fun, the thrill of discovery, and genuine enjoyment.
... not to mention any idea how to perform the skills in a real (non-class) situation or comprehension of why it matters.

Of course ... that's because far too many DM's and instructors so rushed from class (DM at 60 dives) to class (instructor at 100 dives) that they never really found out themselves.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom