A close call

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

However, does anyone have any information as to why someone would present such serious symptoms and then have them disappear?

Carbon Dioxide build-up (CO2). Might have over breathed his regulator or it might not be working properly. Might be skip breathing to extend gas supply.

John

While I did indeed detect the sarcasm in your post lol...
You are correct. I should not have been spearfishing with this new dive buddy and I took an unnecesary risk. But live and learn right?

Btw I have since talked to him about his dive practices and recomended relearning the basics. On the same note I will not be diving with him again.

Working my way up to rescue diver is something I want to do, however there is the unfortunate costs involved :depressed:
I would definitely keep Rescue training on your radar as you gain experience and become more comfortable diving. In fact, as soon as you start feeling comfortable with your gear and your buddy skills (50 - 100 total dives), I'd recommend that you seriously consider taking the class. I wish that the training agencies made Rescue classes even more affordable than they already are. LDSes around here charge between $150 and $200 for the class. Money well-spent IMHO.

Of all the SCUBA classes I've taken, Rescue class was the most fun, educational, and challenging. The fact that you will be diving off of your own small boat makes having Rescue skills even more important. Make sure that you take the class with a good instructor. Be safe out there...

Aside from the issues your dive buddy experienced, one of the things that concerned me about your post, and especially being new to diving, is that you typically dive your first dive as your deepest dive, the next dive should be more shallow to help with gassing off. I realize in your post it was only a 10 foot difference on this particular day, however, felt it was worth mentioning for future dives.

Aside from the issues your dive buddy experienced, one of the things that concerned me about your post, and especially being new to diving, is that you typically dive your first dive as your deepest dive, the next dive should be more shallow to help with gassing off. I realize in your post it was only a 10 foot difference on this particular day, however, felt it was worth mentioning for future dives.
@DianeKim: FYI, it is now widely accepted in the diving community that no evidence exists to suggest that reverse profiles present an increased risk of DCS.

Check out this short essay written by Peter Bennett in 2001 and published on the Divers Alert Network website.

@DianeKim: FYI, it is now widely accepted in the diving community that no evidence exists to suggest that reverse profiles present an increased risk of DCS.

Check out this short essay written by Peter Bennett in 2001 and published on the Divers Alert Network website.

I was definitely still taught that to do the deeper dive first, thanks for linking the article, very interesting. Funny how these things become entrenched as common practice.

I was definitely still taught that to do the deeper dive first, thanks for linking the article, very interesting. Funny how these things become entrenched as common practice.
@Jloren9: When did you get OW certified?

Thank you for updating me. I guess I will worry less regarding reverse profiles....

May of 2009, so coming up on a year now
Hmm. That's interesting. All I can say is instructors are human. Your instructor was flat out wrong on that one. He/she should really be spending more time on continuing education.

Back
Top Bottom