A close call

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

3 inexperienced divers spearfishing off the coast in a small boat with no emergency oxygen. What could possibly go wrong? :)

Were currents present? Was anyone left in the boat while the rest were diving? (I realize these questions are off-topic and I don't mean to be flippant at all.)

To answer your question, yes, a fair number of divers who use their own personal boats have emergency oxygen on-board.

Maybe 1 knot of current but not much at all, 2 down and one in the boat. And the two other people onboard the 23' Seacraft had no trouble, because we understand not to ascend to quickly and do a safety stop.

Well I guess I'll have to look into training and purchasing with the O2

Maybe 1 knot of current but not much at all, 2 down and one in the boat. And the two other people onboard the 23' Seacraft had no trouble, because we understand not to ascend to quickly and do a safety stop.

Well I guess I'll have to look into training and purchasing with the O2

Get some training soon, while you still remember the fear!. Oxygen is very important and can be the difference of whether a diver lives or dies or ever walks again when an accident occurs. There is no substitute for immediate oxygen, even if you have a fast boat.

From your profile, it indicates that you are a new diver. If your instructor never taught you the importance of bringing oxygen, when diving on yout own...well it should make you wonder what other "details" might have been left out of the course??

3 inexperienced divers spearfishing off the coast in a small boat with no emergency oxygen. What could possibly go wrong? :)

Were currents present? Was anyone left in the boat while the rest were diving? (I realize these questions are off-topic and I don't mean to be flippant at all.)

To answer your question, yes, a fair number of divers who use their own personal boats have emergency oxygen on-board.

Not only slightly off topic, but also aggressive. Particularly so if you read the original post where it is quite clear that someone remained on the boat during each dive. Also, feel free to point out where the size of the boat is specified, or where the experience level of the third diver is mentioned. You may be right on those points, but I would start by asking.

As far as the incident goes, I wonder about the experience level and relationship with your buddy. Once you came up from the first dive, it should have been reasonably clear that your new dive partner was unsafe. Ideally, there wouldn't have been a second dive, or you would have at least warned your regular buddy what to expect. You decided you didn't want to dive with the new guy again, why send anyone else down with him?

Here's something else to consider. You did a 30 minute dive to 65 fsw. He followed that up with a dive to 75 fsw. Depending upon how long there was between dives and how long they spent at 75 fsw, there's a chance that your new dive partner could have incurred a decompression obligation. That could be a problem for a diver who can't fully control an ascent. Could you tell us how long he stayed at the surface between dives and how long the second dive was? Did you guys drop pretty quickly to depth and stay there, or was there any time spent at intermediate depths? In any case, take a look at a set of tables and see what they have to say about your new partner's dives.

And I bet most also remember to do the deepest dive first...

Your dive buddy is a disaster looking for a target. Talking to him, or getting someone else to talk to him (if there is someone he is more likely to listen to...) would be a good idea.

Help that guy before he kills himself! Kick scream yell or do whatever you can to get the facts into his dim head. I am a new diver and this kind of stuff terrifies me. If he is your friend it is your responsibility to help the diver. This is not a sport for idiots.

The oxygen kits offered contain small cylinders. I purchased a 40 cu/ft scuba tank and keep it filled with pure oxygen. I also bought a demand regulator from a medical supply store, with spare masks. The price was good and I have plenty of gas at my disposal more than with the advertised kits.

Not only slightly off topic, but also aggressive.
I hope that the OP didn't detect any aggressiveness in my post. That wasn't my intention at all. The first paragraph was written in a sarcastic tone...and I hope that sarcasm initiated thoughts along the lines of: "If I'm a beginner diver, I probably shouldn't be spearfishing with other inexperienced buddies. In fact, I probably should just be working on some basic dive skills -- buoyancy control, OW class skills, buddy skills, etc. Task-loading myself by diving with a new-to-me buddy and having at least one of us shooting at things under water probably isn't a good idea. Furthermore, since we were on our own boat, we should probably have a concrete emergency action plan in place. Maybe I should take a rescue class so that I'd have a better idea about what I should be doing if one of us happens to get hurt."

As we all know, dive safety begins even before we arrive at the dive site. A very important element of dive safety is with whom one chooses to dive. It's a personal rule of mine that the first dive with a new buddy is a very conservative check-out dive -- no UW cameras, no spearguns, no new equipment, no night dives, and at a familiar site (if possible).

I hope the OP has the opportunity to meet with the problem diver and discuss what could have been done differently. I hope that the diver will come to see the importance of conducting dives in line with one's experience level, demonstrating good buoyancy control, moderating ascent rate, and conducting a safety stop. If he doesn't take these things to heart, the consequences could be severe.

I hope that the OP didn't detect any aggressiveness in my post. That wasn't my intention at all. The first paragraph was written in a sarcastic tone...and I hope that sarcasm initiated thoughts along the lines of: "If I'm a beginner diver, I probably shouldn't be spearfishing with other inexperienced buddies. In fact, I probably should just be working on some basic dive skills -- buoyancy control, OW class skills, buddy skills, etc. Task-loading myself by diving with a new-to-me buddy and having at least one of us shooting at things under water probably isn't a good idea. Furthermore, since we were on our own boat, we should probably have a concrete emergency action plan in place. Maybe I should take a rescue class so that I'd have a better idea about what I should be doing if one of us happens to get hurt."

As we all know, dive safety begins even before we arrive at the dive site. A very important element of dive safety is with whom one chooses to dive. It's a personal rule of mine that the first dive with a new buddy is a very conservative check-out dive -- no UW cameras, no spearguns, no new equipment, no night dives, and at a familiar site (if possible).

I hope the OP has the opportunity to meet with the problem diver and discuss what could have been done differently. I hope that the diver will come to see the importance of conducting dives in line with one's experience level, demonstrating good buoyancy control, moderating ascent rate, and conducting a safety stop. If he doesn't take these things to heart, the consequences could be severe.

While I did indeed detect the sarcasm in your post lol...
You are correct. I should not have been spearfishing with this new dive buddy and I took an unnecesary risk. But live and learn right?

Btw I have since talked to him about his dive practices and recomended relearning the basics. On the same note I will not be diving with him again.

Working my way up to rescue diver is something I want to do, however there is the unfortunate costs involved :depressed:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom