A close call

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jloren9

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Now, I may be fairly new to scuba diving, but I know that one of the easiest ways to get into trouble into ascend too fast. Unfortunately, a new dive partner for me and my friend ended our day early.

I dove down with him first, a 30 minute dive to 65 ft. Upon the ascent, I noticed that he just rocketed towards the surface, without any regard to controlling his ascent or to perform a safety stop.

I said something to him back up in the boat and he replied that "It was impossible to really control your ascent." At this point I realized that I both did not want to dive with him anymore, as he clearly did not know what he was doing, and that I was going to have the extra stress of worrying about his safety.

The next dive he went down with my buddy to a deeper reef at around 75 ft. Him and my buddy were down there spearfishing, and I was in the boat in charge of pickup. I see my buddy surface first and go to pick him up. He tells me our friend was going to stay down and try and get a few more fish. About 5 minutes later, he surfaces about 100 yards from where my buddy came up. As soon as we get close to him I can see something is wrong. He's bleeding from his left nostril and is gasping for air. He was incredibly out of breath. He complained of a killer headache and was fair unresponsive to conversation. He seemed to be just staring into space or at random objects. And he is usually a pretty loud fellow, always with something to say. The fact that he didnt even acknowledge all of the fish hed shot was very worrying. And he kept saying how his headache was getting worse.

At this point, me and my buddy both realized something was wrong. And we immediately started running in to get him to the nearest hospital. Luckily the ocean was flat and it was the first day the the "no wake zone" time ended for the Summer, so we made good time. By the time we made it back, he appeared to have returned to normal and said he felt fine and his headache had gone away. He honestly did appear to have done a 180 turnaround. We said we should drive him to get checked out anyway but he refused.

Luckily, he turned out OK. But if this is the closest I ever come to diving accident I would be very happy. I guess this is a good example of how ignorance can be truly dangerous. I won't be diving with him again needless to say.

However, does anyone have any information as to why someone would present such serious symptoms and then have them disappear?

As soon as we get close to him I can see something is wrong. He's bleeding from his left nostril and is gasping for air. He was incredibly out of breath. He complained of a killer headache and was fair unresponsive to conversation. He seemed to be just staring into space or at random objects. And he is usually a pretty loud fellow, always with something to say. The fact that he didnt even acknowledge all of the fish hed shot was very worrying. And he kept saying how his headache was getting worse.

Gasping for air could be from panic or lung damage (any of several different flavors), hyperventilating or because he was out of air and bolted for the surface. The headache could be from DCS, sinus injury or several other things. Same goes for the bleeding. It could be a bloody nose from improper equalization or he could have actually have done significant damage to something.

Almost all of these symptoms have several different possible causes, although none of them are good and it's really not possible to tell what happened over the internet.

If this happened today or recently, he should probably get checked out by a doctor. I'm not sure I'd trust his assessment that he's "fine," although if he was an insta-buddy, there's no real reason he would listen to you even if you told him to see a doc.

Terry

What Web Monkey said.

I just want to add that you should never again dive with this fool. He's going to get someone hurt or killed, asides from himself. You don't need the danger or hassle or the inevitable investigation, lawsuit &/or paperwork.

Instead of leaving him to his fate, why not take the time to sit down and have a very good chat with him about what he's doing wrong. From your post, it sounds like he's your friend. Knowing that you can change the way he dives (to a much safer way), would you honestly leave him to become an "accident" rather than a "near miss"?

One of the easiest ways to get into trouble into ascend too fast.

Upon the ascent, I noticed that he just rocketed towards the surface, without any regard to perform a safety stop.

I said something to him and he replied that "It was impossible to really control your ascent."

He is usually a pretty loud fellow, always with something to say. And he kept saying how his headache was getting worse.

We said we should drive him to get checked out anyway but he refused.

I won't be diving with him again needless to say.

Well one of you is showing good judgment.

USCScubaboy offers a kind statement, but if your friend has the personality type I think he may have...you are wasting your breath.

I personally refuse to give up on anyone, except for those that know so much more than I do and have no respect for the trauma that may ensue in so many different ways due to poor training, arrogance, and a general disrespect for their companions.

Good luck, and avoid this person on the water would be my advice.

Chug
Always attempts to be a good listener.

USCScubaboy offers a kind statement, but if your friend has the personality type I think he may have...you are wasting your breath.

Haha I'm glad that you understand, he is 100% that personality type.

After what happened I seriously doubted whether or not he was even certified.

If he landed the fish, that is all that matters..... But seriously, you should NOT dive with hm again and you should NOT head offshore again without emergency oxygen.

If he landed the fish, that is all that matters..... But seriously, you should NOT dive with hm again and you should NOT head offshore again without emergency oxygen.

I'm not too familiar with that, do a lot of divers, not on charters, keep emergency oxygen on their boat?

I'm not too familiar with that, do a lot of divers, not on charters, keep emergency oxygen on their boat?
3 inexperienced divers spearfishing off the coast in a small boat with no emergency oxygen. What could possibly go wrong? :)

Were currents present? Was anyone left in the boat while the rest were diving? (I realize these questions are off-topic and I don't mean to be flippant at all.)

To answer your question, yes, a fair number of divers who use their own personal boats have emergency oxygen on-board.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom