A career as a dive instructor - realistic or idealistic?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SkullVogue:
Hi Sirenita :

I know is not an easy to decide quit everything from ourself but we did it ... i have the same aspriration too but that's is too hard for me to done my dream .. im from Malaysia i left my home town to island working because my financial not allow me to take any diving course but i won't give out to find my own life that is join diving world ... u know when i left i have nothing not even had save because i have to support my family until i left home for ten more year .. start im working in 1 dive shop in the island from my friend's they promise me im working there they will train me until DM but they lied me im working there for 2 and 1/2 month not even had salary and i only did 6 dive ... however that's very hard way to me to done my course i still won't give up ... so i belive is ... life is belong to ourself just do it what ever we want if not will be regret one day ...

So all the best to you ...

Malaysia ....:10:

Harn's

Good luck Harn's,

I really hope you achieve your dream, you seem to deserve to be an OWSI, and will probably be a good one.

When we have to work harder to get something it always feels better when you get it.

Don't give up. I didn't give up to search the "JOB".

Hi Lisa,
Good luck with your job. (Real students is normally better than IDC-candidates... -trust me!!)
Hope you find what U R looking for babe...
Santa
P.s. -It's business as usual here

Oh wow, i just finished to read the whole thread and i'm impressed. Lisa, congradulations. You showed all of us that you are a true fighter and if you want something you should go and get it! You are young, live your dream and don't think about money. it's like water, comes and goes!
I had my first dive in the GBR in Australia and i had an impression that my DI was doing pretty good for himself - buying $4000 Tv set and new car and taking 2 weeks vacations every 2 months. So it can't be that bad?!

And believe or not, right after i got back from OZ, all i wanted is to go and get my certificate and start teaching diving. I'm serious. But it didn't last long ( about 2.5 days) and then i relaized that if i get a J.D in Enviromental Law, i could be more useful for society.

Sveta:
Oh wow, i just finished to read the whole thread and i'm impressed. Lisa, congradulations. You showed all of us that you are a true fighter and if you want something you should go and get it! You are young, live your dream and don't think about money. it's like water, comes and goes!
I had my first dive in the GBR in Australia and i had an impression that my DI was doing pretty good for himself - buying $4000 Tv set and new car and taking 2 weeks vacations every 2 months. So it can't be that bad?!

And believe or not, right after i got back from OZ, all i wanted is to go and get my certificate and start teaching diving. I'm serious. But it didn't last long ( about 2.5 days) and then i relaized that if i get a J.D in Enviromental Law, i could be more useful for society.

That's funny-- I used to want to be more useful for society, until I realized that societies are like money, they come and go. I'm presently working as a child advocate for the MN state court system, but all I want is to start teaching diving since it'd be less misery for me! I'm just teasing, but this is the wrong place to question the nobility of the dive profession.

Just as with any other career, you get out what you put in. I have been in the dive biz most of my life and have done well. What is takes to be successful is learning as much as possible about the industry. If you only plan on teaching at a resort or guiding divers there is a limit to your income, BUT if you use that experience as a stepping stone for bigger and better there is most definatly opportunity.

What ever you do, do it at 120 % and you will succeed!

Good Luck - you never work a day in your life if you love what you do.

nauidivepro:
What ever you do, do it at 120 % and you will succeed!

Like 50 is the new 30, I guess giving 120% is the new giving 110%

Mexico may be more difficult to break into than Thailand. The Mexican government makes it harder for non nationals to work in certain industries like diving. I have been going to Mexico to dive for over 15 years and all of my divemasters have been Mexican. I know that at least at one time, the boat captain and at least one of the divemasters on a charter had to be Mexican nationals. You may want to check into this before making a formal decision. As to the ultimate decision to try to make a living in the profession, go for it. You are young and have your life ahead of you. If you find that it is not for you at least you tried and will know. Better to know than to not try and have regrets for the rest of your life.
Good luck and enjoy.

Lisa,

This is a great thread and I enjoyed reading it. Good luck to you, especially looking at your latest blog entry, you need it now, but somehow I'm pretty sure you'll land on your feet soon enough.

Don't know how I missed this thread until now and it took me all morning to read but what a read. Congrats on your career choice Lisa and have fun with it . It really can be emotionally rewarding. I hope to be doing the Carribean thing in a few years, until then I will build my resume here in the states.

Hello everyone. I feel I owe you the epilogue to this story. Although, I like to think of my life in terms of chapters, and that Thailand / Caribbean chapter has come to a close. It would have been easy for me to stay out in Thailand indefinitely living the dive life, working for 'free' at Mermaids, or somewhere similar. It would have also been easy for me to stay in the Caribbean. I had a work permit in the pipeline, although I wasn't making money (losing money more like), the sheer effort it took to relocate was enough of a reason to stay.

The truth is that I'm a free spirit, and distant horizons were calling me. I worked long hours, with an occasional day off here and there, but no guarantees of time off at all if a customer turned up last minute. I made more in tips than actual wages, and that wasn't enough either. I was sharing the home of the dive shop owner (a widower of about 55), and had no independence, or privacy. I even felt like he behaved inappropiately towards me.

Any daily routine can become tiresome, no matter where you are in the world, and I realised that I didn't want to hide myself away on a tiny poverty-stricken island; trapped without culture, social life or peers, and miss what wonders the world had to offer me. And, you know what else, I realised that scuba dive instruction isn't for me.

So I caught my ship before it sailed. Literally. :) I jumped on a catarmaran with almost frightening spontaneity, and joined a French crew who were headed for Pacific Mexico via the Panama Canal. Never having sailed before, I learned - fast! And so I sailed away into the sunset and watched the island disappear. That's another chapter. :)

I don't regret anything. Thailand, and Mermaids, and the Caribbean was something I had to do, back then, and it made me stronger, wiser, and more confident, not to mention the wonderful life-long friends I have made in the process and the stories I can tell around campfires.

Everyone was right on this thread - absolutely spot on. To be an instructor you have to live and breathe diving - and not the kind of fun diving where you get to chill out and see the things that *you* want to see - but diving with people who are (usually) nervous, or excitable, or unpredictable, who all look to you as the final lifeline. Most of time is spent on skills in shallow water or swimming pools. If you want to actually go diving on a regular basis, consider working as a DM instead. Did I just say the word 'work' and 'DM' in the same sentence - hehe, I should have said 'volunteer' - of course there's no income from being a DM.

To be an instructor, you need to love diving more than anything in your whole life - not just, 'Oh, that's kind of fun.' But, LOVE it! You should be half human, half fish. It's the only way in which you could put up with the more challenging side effects, like living on the breadline, feeling physical exhaustion every day forever, no weekends off with friends, etc...

I had the choice. It was in my lap. But I picked the promise of what was beyond the next horizon, and I did it with a smile.

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us."

Back
Top Bottom