A career as a dive instructor - realistic or idealistic?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I shall be heading to Alaska next spring to pay an extended visit to a friend, who may or may not be a member of Scuba Board. :D

Honestly, the fun never stops. :) :)

Hawaii is just a short hop from Alaska, here's an invitation to come check us out. I am not trying to talk you out of anything, but I can assure you that dive instructor/guide is a job that does not have just one definition. For the past 5 years I have managed to maintain my integrity and pay the neccessary bills as a full time dive pro. I am not saving any money but I am paying off my student loan, living in a nice house and not completely losing my small love handles :D

An adventurous, educated, artistic and well traveled dive instructress could do very well on Maui, in many ways!

I am just starting out in my journey to train as an instructor, which involves me selling up everything in the UK, and moving out to Thailand with a one way ticket in just a couple of weeks to study at an IDC. I have this sort of wildly optimistic, blind faith in the idea that if I work hard I will succeed and be happy, (and hopefully earn a living!) but after reading these forums, I am a little worried that I am being too idealistic? Do I need to take off my rose tinted mask?

Many people here seem to be saying that it's just not possible to earn a living teaching diving, and I was hoping to hear from any people who have success stories, to prove it is possible? (I am willing to work seasonally in different places around the world, at least while I'm still young, footloose and fancy free!)

While I don't expect to be a wealthy playgirl, I have been entertaining this romantic notion of leaving the materialistic world behind, living by the ocean, and sticking a white picket fence into the sand around my front door :)

To the OP - I got my OW certification at Scubacat in Phuket, Thailand. Was lucky to have a fantastic instructor there. Anyway, he would get paid 1000 baht a day for doing OW, DSD, etc. In Australia, that is AUD 40 per day or 280 per week.

Whilst for Thailand it is enough to live on, you certainly wont be able to save anything for living in any western country.

Depends on your priorities in life I suppose.

Great post, very realisitic, but a little shortsighted.
I am in my 5th year as an instructor more or less living hand to mouth but doing fine and enjoying my life. I am now about to make some money. It is out there for the well educated instructor with experience... look at Cayman, BVI, Bermuda etc... Asia is notoriously badly paid and there is little future there as you cannot own a business there (Thailand that is) as as "farang" or foreigner.

My advice,as ever, is EDUCATION EDUCATION EDUCATION... get qualified, never stop doing courses in boats, diving, DAN... put yourself above the others who will leave the industry after a few months. I will still be living in Paradise in 15 years time, maybe not as an Instructor teaching OW and AOW, but I will be there working in the sunshine and diving. Thats my aim.

Cheers

Simon

you cant call it shortsighted then go and tell me you have been living hand to mouth for 5 years ! yes agreed Caymen, Bermuda offer extra choices and more pay but the cost of living is higher so you still realistically do not end up with much more. I nearly accepted a job in Caymen and wish somedays that I had taken it

Cant knock your lifestyle though and im sure you must enjoy what you are doing but when I look towards getting old and needing money for retirement it frightens me to think that people are living the life and then expecting the government to pay for their retirement because that just doesnt happen anymore (not in the UK anyway)

Strongly disagree with your comment about owning a business as a foreigner, have you been to Thailand and seen the dive Centres ? Not many are Thai owned, but the boats are Thai owned and you will get your boat stolen and sunk (it happened twice last year) if you try to go in competition with them. Some of the most successful dive centres I have worked at or experienced were farang owned in Thailand (Mainly German) but guess what ! they still have to pay the police a monthly fee to keep them off their backs

As for education, I managed to do loads of specialalities and become IDC Staff but that doesnt get you that much more money, the real money is in being a popular / successful Course Director, and I have met and worked with some great ones and good luck to them and good luck to you

See you at the bottom

Although the pay i$ higher in Cayman in regard$ to other location$, however the co$t of living i$ quite high. Mo$t $taff that I worked with lo$t money their fir$t 6 month$, including my$elf. After my initial 6 month$ I wa$ able to $ave a little money, but had to give up $ome luxurie$.

If you are young and have no re$pon$ibilite$ in life Cayman i$ a good choice. I knew many people who left becau$e of the high co$t of living. Nonethele$$, a couple of friend$ have decided to re$ide on the i$land becau$e they like the life $tyle. However, $everal changed career$ to make a better living.

$till, I have no regret$ living there.

Although the pay is higher in Cayman in regard$ to other locatoins, however the cost of living is quite high. Mo$t $taff that I worked with lo$t money their fir$t 6 month$, including my$elf. I wa$ able to $ave a little money, but had to give up $ome luxurie$.

If you are young and have no re$pon$ibilite$ in life Cayman is a good choice. I knew many people who left becau$e of the high co$t of living. Nonethele$$, a couple of friend$ have decided to re$ide on the i$land becau$e they like the life $tyle. However, $everal changed job$ to make a better living.

$till, I have no regret$ living there.

Are you using so many "$" signs to emphasise your point?

:14:

I think if I ever win the lottery, I will become an instructor and open up a dive shop until the money runs out....:D:dork2:

Call me a dork, but that's what I would do as well. :lotsalove:

$ indeed emphasizes my point.

For those wanting to win the lotto and open a dive shop you are on the right track according to the old saying; if you want to make a million dollars in the dive industry you need to start out with two million.

C

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom