A bird with a thick body and short legs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

our great Canadian leader Mr. Jean (pronounced John) Chretian...........I ham appy to be ere wid my friend Mr. George W Bush. He his da leeder of da greaat countrie US uf A. We weeeel elp eem in hevery way to rid da wurld of dat der Bin lauden guy............

Butch :peace:

Samuel Johnson was a great English lexicographer, famous for his precise use of the Queen's English. The following story was chronicled by his biographer, Samuel Pepys:

Johnson was sitting in a public house, after a particularly difficult night. He had not bathed in quite awhile and it was very noticeable. Thus, a lady walked up beside him, drew her hand to her nose, and said, "Sir, you smell!" At which point Johnson said, "No, Madam! You smell. I stink!"

And that should serve to end this thread!

Joewr...lexicographer to the fishies in the sea...

Hello,

A couple of quick checks online I ran into this:

From Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (1913) :

Dive \Dive\, v. i. [imp. & p. p. Dived, colloq. Dove, a
relic of the AS. strong forms de['a]f, dofen; p. pr. & vb. n.
Diving.] [OE. diven, duven, AS. d?fan to sink, v. t., fr.
d?fan, v. i.; akin to Icel. d?fa, G. taufen, E. dip, deep,
and perh. to dove, n. Cf. Dip.]
1. To plunge into water head foremost; to thrust the body
under, or deeply into, water or other fluid.

Ed

Blacknet,

When you get the ball, you gotta go for the end zone! It just does not work to spike it on the 3 yard line!

Note what your reference stated: "dove" is a relic of Anglo Saxon, one of the ancient roots of the English language. Thus, one could say that it was archaic or outdated...if one wished. Of course, our friends from across the pond could have used the Old English form of, "duven".

Joewr...an Old English word for overworked...

I just wanted to add some flippant remark about countries that try to play football, just stick to soccer. :)

Originally posted by Heads Up
AAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHH

That is an old expression from the Celtic...it was frequently used just prior to lifting heavy stones...and just after a hernia appeared. It is sometimes referred to as a "part of speechless", as Headsup so sagely noted.

Joewr...always happy to be of service--Verbosity is Word One!

Hello,

Joewr, Well I was late for work and didn't fully read what I pasted as it came from http://www.dict.org Figured I would read more later time permitting.

Besides, spiking it on the 3 yard line is more dramatic and the crowd goes home with lasting memories :wink:

Ed

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom