A bird with a thick body and short legs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Belushi

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
The word DOVE. What does it actually mean?
Is it the past tense of dive? No it is not!
The word dove is a noun for a bird with a thick body and short legs, or a person favouring negotiation rather than violence.

The past tense for the verb "to dive" is "to have dived"

So instead of I dove, it should be "I dived", or "I have dived"

Happiness is a wet beaver. Why? A rodent from North America will make you happy or is it the name of the suit or is it a double-entendre made to make you giggle.

In my time travelling, I have found nothing more annoying than natural English speakers being made to look foolish by our European neighbours because they speak english better than we do.

The best english speakers in the world are not British or American, but the Swedish and the Dutch.

English is the second most expressive (i.e. the most words)language in the world. (After Mandarin) It is the most widely spoken language, and we seem to add about 50 words to it every year.

Notwithstanding technical terms, but we butcher our own language on a regular basis by adding words that have no meaning whatsoever.

I have a few friends from North America and they are highly amused at my choice of insults, swear words and general unpleasantries that us Brits use.

The Chinese and the Arabs do not insult each other, they insult your mother. So you maybe the nastiest person in the world, but the insults you get will be related to your mother's various bodily organs and her general state of decay. Some of them I learnt are exceptionally amusing, but very deadly.

I love the english language ... it is brill!

I dredge up another Churchill quote: "The British and the Americans are two peoples separated by a common language." That is probably a paraphrase rather than a quote: I do not have my Bartlett's to check it out.

Now, in Webster's Dictionary, a standard here in the land of the brave and the free, it says, "dove, past of dive"; on the other hand "dived" is the past participle. Thus, in standard American English, we say

I dive.
I dove.
I have dived.

Now, I do not have a copy of the Oxford Dictionary of Standard English so I cannot comment on what is proper across the pond. But..................

Joewr...wondering when the last time it was that Belushi "knocked someone up"? Or looked under the bonnet of a lorry?

my canuck dictionary gives dove "2" as the past tense of dive. spanner, lift and other terms that Brits may use are not very common here, just like many terms that we use here are not common there, so really it is a matter of commonality amongst those of a common language, or was that lack of commonality amongst those who speak a common language.

There of course is another country to consider in this mix, Texas.

I'z Dived
I doved sev'ral times
I have Doved, so what of it?

It seems to me the Texas version is the best, what y'all thunk about that?

dive into this thread, as I have dove into many others, becausing diving is my hobby, I dove right into this board.

Hehehe

Butch :peace:

Dove: Verb past present tense of D'Oh. Usage: For the last several months, Mr. Burns called an emergency safety meeting every time Homer D'ohved.

One of the interesting things about languages is that they continue to change and evolve over time. Remember when Pot was a cooking utensil instead of 3-5 for possesion? As we invent new things, we recycle words. (How did we ever come up with "Surf" the web?) D-oh-ve, D-uh-ve, s'matters little to me.

But Gosh Durntall. Honour, colour, valour ARE spellt with "u"s.

Oh look at the time, Turn off Telly, Time to hop in the Morris, close the boot, put some petrol under the bonnet, and go to the local for a bitter; maybe a spot of steak and kidney Pud. Cheers Mates!

Obviously nobody have considered the highly technical and describing term "yup":

As you all know this translates into a bitterly cold 210 ft dive on trimix w/ 50/50 deco and recovery of 2 cruiser missiles which will be sold back to the navy... And I dropped my glove too...

This term is primarily used by old salts and should not be confused with "yep" which is used by far younger and less skilled divers to confirm that the gas is turned on...

Big T

and considering the amount of ventriqulation going on concerning this matter. I determined that I would masticate on it for a season. Not one to merely drop a sesquipedalian at the drop of a bowler, I will take it upon my personage to delineate any and all uses of the bird we call a dove. Your patience will be required as the deliberation of this subject matter promises to be quite intense and require a preponderance of matriculation.

:tease:

BTW, does "past tense" just mean the poor thing is dead???

net Doc must have been a politician in his last life, or maybe in this life cause he can sling BS as good as a president.

Calling me a politician like that... and comparing me to their chief!!!

Ttthhhhhhwwwwwwwwwwwiiiiiiiiiiiiippppppp!!!!!

I think this knife from my back belongs to you Syruss...

:tease:

Back
Top Bottom