A bird with a thick body and short legs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This reminds me of what must now be considered a politically incorrect statement made by Mark Twain, "...about the 435(sic) crooks in Congress, but I repeat myself..."

Joewr...Chairman of the NetDoc for Dogfish Catcher Campaign...

Originally posted by NetDoc
Calling me a politician like that... and comparing me to their chief!!!

Ttthhhhhhwwwwwwwwwwwiiiiiiiiiiiiippppppp!!!!!

I think this knife from my back belongs to you Syruss...

:tease:

But I meant it in the nicest ways :tease:

Both DIVED and DOVE are standard as the past tense of DIVE. DOVE is the much newer form, and is therefore often objected to but is so common in all varieties..

my biggest problem with the English language Why do we have to learn it, shouldn't we all speak AMERICAN?

if a dove dove would it be a diving dove?

Try not to think of the English language as being butchered; but rather, think of it as "evolving" :)
Given time, slangs and "butcher jobs" can become proper english. Just kick back and let it "evolve".

Well,

"I dove" and "I have dived" are two different parts of speech.

Let's look at another verb that would seem to be less controversial: to eat.

Would you say that "I ate" and "I have eaten" are exactly the same? No: one is using the preterite and one the past participle. Sometimes we use the participle exclusively; for example, "Have you eaten yet?"

To go is even more distinctive: go, went, gone.

Would you say, "I gone home."? Not likely. "I have gone" is standard English; it is standard even where one spells "honor" as "honour"!

Now, it is true that some dictionaries indicate that both "dove" and "dived" are acceptable preterite forms of dive. So, either form can be used. Okay?????

Joewr...who now knows why Samuel Johnson had such a bad temper!

You have just espoused the mantra for the "descriptive" lot of grammarians. The others who are hung up on the King's English are proscriptive. The latter would have a gavernment agency like the French, who go around correcting everybody and fining them for incorrect usage! The former founded "Phoniks Phor Liphe"...

:tease:

BTW, why are the British so fond of glottal stops??? Why can't they just manage a normal voiced lingu-dental stop?

An Englishman's glotis is in much better shape than his dental work!

Joewr

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom