a BC for a newbie planning to go further?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

boomx5 once bubbled...

He can always go to http://www.halcyon.net and look under retailers to find a dealer in his area. It didn't mention anything about the cuties, but it did say there were a coupe of Halcyon dealers Russia. I think it was mighty big of ya to think about the new guy like that; good job.:wink:

We all need some cuties. Even us old married guys.

Scubaroo once bubbled...
...because whatever anti-backplate bug crawled up your arse and died is starting to stink.

But your anti-DIR and anti-backplate rhetoric is wearing thin.

Lets not get into personal attacks and vulgarities. If you really believe in what you are doing, then nothing that I or anyone else says should make a bit of difference to you.

OTOH, if you are just following the crowd, or looking for approval, you are in a bunch of trouble, and fair game to be cut by anyone with a sharp wit. Me, I dive what I like, not what someone else tells me to do.

I just did a few dives with an IANTD instructor who loves the TPII for doubles and can't stand backplates. He does make BP's available to students so that they will have exposure to everything. My point is that there is more than one school of diving, and some of these other schools recognize there is more than one way to skin the old cat.

so whats wrong with the Zeagle Ranger.....HUH

leadweight once bubbled...
Just love the way a BP puts a heavy single 2" from your back. Flip you right over if you are not careful, especially if it is the shiny stainless one you love.

What? Who told you that? If the tank is closer to your back and mounted to a rigid surface, it is LESS likely to "roll" you. I've never head of anyone being rolled in their BP and wing.

Think about opening a door. If you are trying to open a door and push it open from where the doorknob is, it swings open very easily. Now try to open it by pusing 3" from the side the hinge is on. The arc has been reduced, and the effort required to move the door is much greater. Since the BP/Wing/Tank are so close to your back and are mounted on a rigid surface, the rig is much more stable.

When are you guys going to realize this BP for singles thing is just a figment of the DIR imagination that preaches use the same kind rig all the time to maintain familiarity, even if it hurts, huh? How about comfort and convenience.

A BP/Wing works just as well for singles as it does for doubles. People use the BP because it works, it's not a figment of anyone's imagination.

As for comfort and convenience, I can't think of a setup that could be more of both. My BP is custom fit for me, I just put it on, no adjusting or struggling. I does everything I want it to do efficiently and in comfort.

Have you actually ever tried a BP?

I suppose there is a Halcyon dealer on the corner and a few local DIR types to help him get the thing adjusted somehow.

Adjusting a BP is not rocket science. You adjust the BP once, and that's it. With a Dive Rite type BC, you are always fiddling with the buckles, straps, etc on every dive.

I've been diving a BP/wing for the last 50 dives or so. Including in the carribean and quite like the setup. Its streamlined and its stable. I have had 0 problems with comfort although it seems leadweight has.

I think its kind of a myth that getting a BP/Wing will save you much money if you get into more technical diving. I'm looking at putting together my first set of doubles for a cave course and... The price of the BP/harness is insignificant in comparison to what its going to cost me to put the rest together. (You can't reuse the wing. Or I can't anyway.) Let alone training, trips and gas (later for me).

I think where you win though is having a standard configuration. If you make the transition to doubles your 'stuff' is still in the same place for the most part.

Not that BP/Wing is the ONLY choice for doubles... But by far the most common.

leadweight once bubbled...

Just love the way a BP puts a heavy single 2" from your back. Flip you right over if you are not careful, especially if it is the shiny stainless one you love. Need two of those babies then. When are you guys going to realize this BP for singles thing is just a figment of the DIR imagination that preaches use the same kind rig all the time to maintain familiarity, even if it hurts, huh? How about comfort and convenience

Dont take it personally Mech, life is too short. Just my side of the story. Keep on diving.

Geez Lead, yer really gettin' wound up kinda tight there Bud. I think that material they use in the, what is that thing, transperk, pansypak, whatever, man, it must be toxic. You might want to apply ChickDivers backyard bbq remedy to that thing. We'd hate to lose ya.

Durn tootin life is short. I might have to trade my triples for those sissy doubles one of these days. Course, then I could only wear one bp at a time ;-0

MD

herman once bubbled...
snip first part of post due to reading comprehension...

You may be able to dive a SS BP anywhere. I on the other hand, use only 5-6 lbs in Caribbean waters, a SS BP would have me diving with no ditchable weight and is heaver in my luggage.

Backplate weights 6 pounds. Ditchable weight is highly overrated

My purpose in responding to the post was to simply point out that a single BP and wing (or any other type BC for that matter) will not necessarly meet every diving condition if the diver wants to use the optimal equipment for the dive at hand.

That's kool Herman, but that's not what the man wanted to know. Reading...reading...

I think we should kick you and lead out of the bp&w forum if you can't play nice :(

MD

diveaustin once bubbled...
so whats wrong with the ****** *******.....HUH

Wrong with what? You have to be more specific if you want an answer Dive.

Back
Top Bottom