A backpacker approach to diving the Caribbean

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RoatanMan, The belize option has some strenght. I could do Caye Caulker for about a week then moving to Yucatan to see some ruins and/or do cenotes. By the way, Argentina is really cheap now (as you can imagine this means the almost everything is expensive to us) , nothing like the late 90's. Now there are lots of turist around, the other day I walked on block in downtown hearing no less that 5 languages. On thing that remains are the ladies :wink:
Utila is other great (and cheap!) option as far as I have read. The drawback are that I'm pretty stucked there, I hate to miss the cenotes and the maya ruins.
The main driver for Venezuela is that I got my brother there , but really the political climate is complicated. I have desided against it.

drbill, my congratulations! You managed to get a job where going out for 2/3 months is doable! I was stucked in a dilbert like cubicule for 4 years, now I got the posibility to start travelling again. I only get almost 2 months of vacations but in 2 weeks groups, better than my previuos 2 week-whenever-my-boss-decided :wink:

smokey braden, Cuba is an option but is more expesive and I hear that backpacking is kind of difficult.

Scuba-Jay, I never had any problems in the hostels I stayed arround Peru, Bolivia, Chile, Uruguay, etc. Always you must try to know who you are sharing the room with, and keep your eyes open. Anycase, dive gear nor not, this is part of the backpacking experience. In the worth case I would talk to the dive shop or the hostel owner.

My LDS adviced me to go to Playa del Carmen, cheaper than Cozumel but almost the same diving. I got the plus of being near the ruins and cenotes. I imagine that is quite crowded thought.

Im still undecided, Utila and Belize have something that attracts me. But the cenotes of yucatan... I have to leave something... maybe I leave the cenotes to the next time when I can afford the cave diving training.... This is difficult, I have to talk to a fellow diver who was there... Will let you know!

Thanks all for your answers and suggestions.

/Matias

Matias... a job? What job?

Seriously, I value my dive time and am willing to live a less than luxurious lifestyle as long as I have plenty of time to dive. W-O-R-K is highly over-rated (note I'm still single and I think there's a linkage between the two).

Sorry to get off topic but I was wondering why so many of my dive buddies in Rio travel to BA to dive? I'm sure it has something to do with cost as the trips to BA are very econimical for Brasilian friends but I find the diving away from Rio to be pretty good.
Back on subject I would be leaning towards Belize. Food and accomodations can be quite cheap and I have a buddy who has a house there and does allot of beach dives there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom