A backpacker approach to diving the Caribbean

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Matias Vidal

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
All the stars and planets got suddenly aligned... time, money and will. People, family, friends, Im going to the caribean. :D

Now the question is exactly where... Cozumel, Belize, Honduras, Bonaire, Venezuela... the list is endless. I got two weeks but I'm on a budget (living in SA you are always on a budget).

My traveller profile: backpacker type, no resorts, no big crowds, no big liveaboards, no big diving shops. Hostels with shared rooms are OK... even beach sleeping is OK (well can be funny now with all my dive gear)

Diver Profile: AOW, Nitrox, 50% of diving in cold low viz arround 30mts deep. The rest the same but with medium visibility :wink: My thinner wetsuit, full 5mm + hood + 5mm vest in South Brasil (10 dives). I hope this caribean thing will not ruin my diving here...

From what I have read there are more than one backpacker here
and I would like some advice. I was thinking in Cozumel/Yucatan, seems cheap, lots of things to do besides diving when the money get low (and it certanly will), caves, cenotes, Maya culture. Also the flight is cheap from Houston (I will be working there for a week, company pays the flight from/to home). My only concern is that Cozumel could be too crowded, I feel more confortable in a somewhat unknown place.

Other posibility would be Belize or Honduras. All the Maya ruins are a _big_ plus for me also the cenotes, but I'm open to other places.

Any diver/backpacker out there with any hints of places there?

Thanks you all!

I don't travel backpacker-style myself, but from what I hear, Tulum, Mexico, and Utila, Bay Islands, Honduras would meet your description. For Tulum, you fly into Cancun, which can be pretty cheap from Houston, and then take a bus down to Tulum. I'm not as clear on how to get to Utila, but you probably have to fly to San Pedro Sula on the mainland and then hop over or fly into Roatan and hop over. Sorry I don't have much on details, but this should get you started.

Belize is going to be cheaper than CZM. I havn't had the chance to go back to CZM in 3 years so I'm not sure how crowded it is becoming. The mainland across from CZM is getting quite crowded.

However, the ferry ride across the water is quite inexpensive. I also, like the ruins, whether Tulum or Chichen Nitza (sp?) and I believe there is another one that has opend up recently. Starts with a C, something like Cobolt.

Salaam

Chris

The Mayan sites are Chichen Itza and Coba. There is also the site at Tulum, which sits on a bluff overlooking the sea. It's very scenic, if not as significant as Chichen Itza and Coba.

Your over riding costs here are going to be transportation between areas that are good for diving and the inland attractions.

From Houston, you can easily route to Belize City (IAH>BCE) . There is fair diving available from Belize City on a day boat basis, but the trips are long and not cheap. Housing in the city is a bargain, however. A better option would be to bite the bullet and transport out to one of the outlying cays and remain there for the period of diving. Housing and food would be a bit more expensive, but probably worth it~ as you would be in paradise and the diving is great.

Way cheaper than any day in Buenos Aires. I used to travel there often to Las Lenas to ski. I never knew money could come out of my pocket so fast! And the Argentine ladies! Well, back to your subject....

I like Utila as a backpacker destination, but the transfers there and to the mainland for your land based desires would be one step more expensive. You would fly S from IAH and either fly to Roatan, or fly through Belize City and to the mainland of Honduras, then take a feeder plane or ferry back North into the Caribbean to get to Utila.

You mention Venezuala, and to most that means Margarita Island. It is mediocre as a dive destination but A+ as a party place- but it's also a long way from any archeological sites, and the best diving, Los Roques, is currently unreachable. Flying into Venezuala, they call the airport "Caracas", but you are a thankful 20 miles from that lovely place. Get off the mainland and to the islands with haste.

Houston is a quick flight to Belize City. I would make that my hopping off point.

I usually do extended (2-3 month) trips as a backpacking diver, but most of my travel in the Caribbean has been work-related and housing was provided. I did find Utila was a good choice for backpackers, as was Caye Caulker in Belize (just south of Ambergris Caye). Found the kind of accommodations I was looking for in both places.

matias vidal,
i was going to recommend los roquas but roatanman beat me to it.
he states that it is ''currently unreachable''.
i was thinking that with your Argentina passport that they would let you go.

could cuba be an option for you?

what ever you decide i wish you a very safe journey.
regards,

My only concern about backpacker diving would be leaving your equipment in a shared dorm style accommodation. How do you provide for it not being stolen??

smokey braden:
he states that it is ''currently unreachable''.
i was thinking that with your Argentina passport that they would let you go.,

No, what I was referring to was the fact that there is inherently no dive operation infrastructure currently available.

I haven't been but twice, and both times it was aboard the stinky Hughes Antares III Liveaboard. It is now removed from service, leaving just a handful of very lightly equipped day-dive ops in the Los Roques area.

It's a shame- as the place is littered with shallow wrecks in swirling sand laden currents. Wooden hulls were common and some days you would see encrusted canons~ a day later...nothing.

When I was in the West Indies, most of the 80's, people showed up at the marinas and stayed on boats in exchange for various little part time jobs on boats. Cooking, sanding, deck hand, etc...

Sometimes, I think it might be easier in places where there is a lot of money, oddly enough. St Barth's...places like that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom