99 dives.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Travis*N:
I got a really old copy of Betty Pratt-Johnson's book "141 Dives" at a used book store in sidney. It was something like 6 or 7 dollars, and in virtually new condition. The book is excellent, and came in really handy for diving up in the parksville area as it lists lots of good shore dive sites i had never heard of before. If you want i can email you some directions from to a place like dolphin beach. Went there today and it was a really cool dive.

I always keep an eye out for her books at the 2nd hand shops too. Hopefully I'll see one one day. Thet sure are popular. However, I think I finally have Nanoose pretty much covered now. The only thing I can't find is dive site names, just places you CAN dive .Using some Nautical charts for clues as to what the bottom may be like and using info from the maps I found at the Regional district of Nanaimo web site, I have nailed down about all the places you can physically dive. I just tried Cottam point And it was by far my favourite. I have done seducers/blueback, and Madrona as well. I know where dolphin is now and plan that and wall beach soon.
The map at the RDN.bc.ca site allows you to literally zoom in so close with a satellite image you can almost see into some dudes house. Well maybe not quite but really damn close. It will also aloow you to see or remove features such as property lines, public access points, parks, zoning numbers and info, roads, etc. It is amazing. I hope all the other district sites add this feature soon. It looks as though the CVRD is working on theirs right now.
I am looking for a site you may be able to look up for me however. It is called "The Basement." I believe it is in nanoose but I am not really sure. If it is listed in 141 perhaps yopu could give me the info on it. I would greatly appreciate that.
Thank you.

GoJu:
I always keep an eye out for her books at the 2nd hand shops too. Hopefully I'll see one one day. Thet sure are popular. However, I think I finally have Nanoose pretty much covered now. The only thing I can't find is dive site names, just places you CAN dive .Using some Nautical charts for clues as to what the bottom may be like and using info from the maps I found at the Regional district of Nanaimo web site, I have nailed down about all the places you can physically dive. I just tried Cottam point And it was by far my favourite. I have done seducers/blueback, and Madrona as well. I know where dolphin is now and plan that and wall beach soon.
The map at the RDN.bc.ca site allows you to literally zoom in so close with a satellite image you can almost see into some dudes house. Well maybe not quite but really damn close. It will also aloow you to see or remove features such as property lines, public access points, parks, zoning numbers and info, roads, etc. It is amazing. I hope all the other district sites add this feature soon. It looks as though the CVRD is working on theirs right now.
I am looking for a site you may be able to look up for me however. It is called "The Basement." I believe it is in nanoose but I am not really sure. If it is listed in 141 perhaps yopu could give me the info on it. I would greatly appreciate that.
Thank you.

Good info there GoJu, I dive that area quite a bit. The place I call Dolphin seems to be different than some other peoples definition but I was told it was the place where Dolphin Dr comes real close to the water just before you get to Seducer (Tyee). Other people have told me different. Where do you call Dolphin?

well this thread has just confirmed that you don't need to be normal to live in the lower mainland. But none the less excellent diving. I miss living on the Island though

GoJu:
Thank you.
The "Basement" you are referring to is actually at Dolphin Beach, at least according to 141 dives. In her description of the site she breaks it down into layers or depths and the basement is the last part of the dive or the furthest part out, where the wall drops straight down from about 70 feet to 120 or 130 feet. I'm not sure exactly how deep because we kept our depth to 75 ', but the vis was amazingly good and you could see the bottom a long way down there

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom