99 dives.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GoJu

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Anyone know where I can get a copy of this book.
Or what are the titles of her other books and is the new one out yet. Man is it difficult to get an extensive list of sites or any info of the area. Can someone tell me where to look.
I have posted a few threads in this direction and havn't found what I'm looking for. I've spent hours at the comp. loking for stuff and it's usually vague at best with no details. I've tried several Lds and they have usually the same answers all around. I've tried the library and local info centers. nothing.
Nautical charts, not detailed enough. I know I'm being picky I suppose but here is what I want...
A detailed list of all the coastal features, bays, coves, reefs, walls, points, I mean they must be registered somewhere. The names and perhaps descriptions(depths,access, etc.)
Maps of said features.
Lists of tried and trued dive sites, again details would be nice.
It's easy to get info on the same bunch of ultra popular sites but there has to bee literally hundreds of places to go and I want to compile some info on lesser known sites. Any help would be greatly appreciated Thank you.

GoJu:
Anyone know where I can get a copy of this book.
Or what are the titles of her other books and is the new one out yet. Man is it difficult to get an extensive list of sites or any info of the area. Can someone tell me where to look.
I have posted a few threads in this direction and havn't found what I'm looking for. I've spent hours at the comp. loking for stuff and it's usually vague at best with no details. I've tried several Lds and they have usually the same answers all around. I've tried the library and local info centers. nothing.
Nautical charts, not detailed enough. I know I'm being picky I suppose but here is what I want...
A detailed list of all the coastal features, bays, coves, reefs, walls, points, I mean they must be registered somewhere. The names and perhaps descriptions(depths,access, etc.)
Maps of said features.
Lists of tried and trued dive sites, again details would be nice.
It's easy to get info on the same bunch of ultra popular sites but there has to bee literally hundreds of places to go and I want to compile some info on lesser known sites. Any help would be greatly appreciated Thank you.
After doing all the "official" shore dives around Victoria, I've had a bit of fun finding "new" dives in the last couple of months. I check marine charts (some are more detailed and show a smaller area than others. I like the ones that start with "approaches to..." or "plans of....". These show the area around populated areas with alot more detail.). I look for interesting features (steep areas preferably deeper than 50 feet). I then look on the web for maps of the area (eg.- Pender Island) that show public beach access points. Sometimes I spend a day driving around looking for beach access points for areas that I can't find a map for. If the "good" spots on the chart match up with easy shore access, I check it out under water. I have lots of dives with photos from each site listed on my website: www.victoriadiving.50megs.com I don't have detailed maps or anything, but people can always e-mail me if they want more info.

s****enstein:
After doing all the "official" shore dives around Victoria, I've had a bit of fun finding "new" dives in the last couple of months. I check marine charts (some are more detailed and show a smaller area than others. I like the ones that start with "approaches to..." or "plans of....". These show the area around populated areas with alot more detail.). I look for interesting features (steep areas preferably deeper than 50 feet). I then look on the web for maps of the area (eg.- Pender Island) that show public beach access points. Sometimes I spend a day driving around looking for beach access points for areas that I can't find a map for. If the "good" spots on the chart match up with easy shore access, I check it out under water. I have lots of dives with photos from each site listed on my website: www.victoriadiving.50megs.com I don't have detailed maps or anything, but people can always e-mail me if they want more info.

I have truly enjoyed your site and have been frequenting it for a while now. It is exactly the sort of thing I have been talking about. You may not have the detailed maps, But very informative with good decriptions and photos. We need more of this sort of thing. I hope to see more on your site soon and eventually be able to do my part in sharing the underwater world with fellow divers. I am looking for more info to the north, say Duncan to Parksville, and anything you have would be appreciated.
Again, Thank you for your site. In my searching online so far I think there are none to match it. Awsome.
Oh and also where do you start researching for maps.
I also like the cruise around and look method.

S****. I'm looking forward to seeing some Pictures of the Cape and Saskatchewan in Nanaimo, those will make a great addition to your web site. Hopefully your camera won't flood this time.

Cheers

AL

GoJu:
Oh and also where do you start researching for maps.
I just type "beach access pender island" for example in a search engine. Some places have great tourist boards with all kinds of info and maps. Some other islands just have the usual "advertisement" garbage with no real information. Usually I go and do a "popular" dive or two and while I'm there, I drive around and look for other beach access sites. It should be easy where you are because at least you don't have to pay for a ferry. I don't know if you are in Nanaimo, but I've seen "99 Dives" in the library there. Good luck.

Hyper-limits:
S****. I'm looking forward to seeing some Pictures of the Cape and Saskatchewan in Nanaimo, those will make a great addition to your web site. Hopefully your camera won't flood this time.

Cheers

AL
It will be a "photography adventure", that's for sure. I replaced the switch in the video light. I just rinsed the light assembly and battery in fresh water and it still works fine. I haven't had time to "leak test" the light housing so it may get heavier as the dive progresses. I had a little "accident" with my still camera strobe housing at Ogden Point on Wednesday. There were swells breaking over my head as I stood on the breakwater- the worst I've seen it there yet. The shock of one of them busted one of the spring clips and the lid popped off and went down a crack between two boulders. I walked back, changed, drove home, picked up my spare, and drove back. Of course the water was dead calm when I came back. Saw 5 wolf eels and a ratfish. Anyways, I made another underwater strobe this morning, but haven't tested it yet either. I think tomorrow will be one of those "hey, look at the guy with the funny camera gear" kind of days.

s****enstein:
It will be a "photography adventure", that's for sure. I replaced the switch in the video light. I just rinsed the light assembly and battery in fresh water and it still works fine. I haven't had time to "leak test" the light housing so it may get heavier as the dive progresses. I had a little "accident" with my still camera strobe housing at Ogden Point on Wednesday. There were swells breaking over my head as I stood on the breakwater- the worst I've seen it there yet. The shock of one of them busted one of the spring clips and the lid popped off and went down a crack between two boulders. I walked back, changed, drove home, picked up my spare, and drove back. Of course the water was dead calm when I came back. Saw 5 wolf eels and a ratfish. Anyways, I made another underwater strobe this morning, but haven't tested it yet either. I think tomorrow will be one of those "hey, look at the guy with the funny camera gear" kind of days.

A great Site!!!

We need more like that for other places in BC. Full of colour and solid information, I really enjoyed it. Makes me want to head over to Victoria and try a few....

Jimi

jimisurf:
A great Site!!!

We need more like that for other places in BC. Full of colour and solid information, I really enjoyed it. Makes me want to head over to Victoria and try a few....

Jimi
Thanks. I'm originally from Vancouver and I actually miss some of the dives there. I wouldn't trade it for Victoria, but I wish I could go out to Whytecliff more often. I haven't been there in a couple years. I was certified at Porteau Cove and remember thinking "holy s***" when I saw the gardens of plumose anemones. That hooked me.

It sounds like you need a boat s****enstein. It would make trips to Pender easier.

You're website is great! I went to Mackenzie Bight last weekend and had a blast! The visibilty was terrible on the surface, but by 40fsw it cleared up to about 40 ft. I saw a small octopus in it's den a little to the north of the first beach. It makes me wish I had a housing and strobes.

SeanQ:
It sounds like you need a boat s****enstein. It would make trips to Pender easier.

You're website is great! I went to Mackenzie Bight last weekend and had a blast! The visibilty was terrible on the surface, but by 40fsw it cleared up to about 40 ft. I saw a small octopus in it's den a little to the north of the first beach. It makes me wish I had a housing and strobes.
As far as Pender goes, there are so many public beach access points, I'm content to take the ferry and dive from shore. I'm thinking of going to Galiano in a week or two, but like the other Gulf Islands, there don't seem to be as many shore access sites. A boat would come in handy there. If anyone has a boat with a nice cabin, swim platform, and open deck space that they want me to take off their hands for nothing (free moorage would be nice too), feel free to contact me.

Back
Top Bottom