85m air dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just ran it on Decoplanner and the CNS% went from 630 to 629 - did I miss something?

The CNS% I show for my understanding of your dive is 245%

278' (85m) on air for 8 minutes.

50 and 100% deco gas.

Total runtime 29 minutes.

I get the same runtime but it's not right... and I don't know why my CNS reading is so much higher... this isn't the laptop I use to cut runtimes and it's a bit early in the morning to work out what's wrong

Anyway, what difference do you calculate with and without the air break from 9m-6m?

Attachments

• decoplanner85m8.JPG
    decoplanner85m8.JPG
    73.5 KB · Views: 42
  • decoplanner85m8airbreak.JPG
    decoplanner85m8airbreak.JPG
    75.2 KB · Views: 39
What difference do you calculate with and without the air break from 9m-6m?

CNS% is negligable, but playing with the deco gas and adding air breaks drop OTU's from 45 to 33.

Well not to be a smartarse but I thought you said the benefit was CNS%-related

What changes did you make to go from 45 to 33? I had 49 to 46 - but there' something screwy anyway; I've never used this version of decoplanner before, just installed it

I dont claim to be any sort of expert on this but I'm not sure deco software is that relevant when it comes to CNS% over 100 and air breaks.

On a practical level it seems possible to breathe O2 at 20 feet almost indefinitely using a 12 on 6 off (or similar strategy)
Suspect if you try putting that into software (12 on,6 off for 2 hours say) the program will not be happy with you, yet some divers use that strategy to do dives where the CNS is way over 100.

I dont claim to be any sort of expert on this but I'm not sure deco software is that relevant when it comes to CNS% over 100 and air breaks.

On a practical level it seems possible to breathe O2 at 20 feet almost indefinitely using a 12 on 6 off (or similar strategy)
Suspect if you try putting that into software (12 on,6 off for 2 hours say) the program will not be happy with you, yet some divers use that strategy to do dives where the CNS is way over 100.

Agreed. I've heard of divers getting away with some crazy CNS% using air breaks that can't really be explained by the deco software.

Tortuga, I ran my numbers through V-planner set on +2. That might explain some of the differences. The biggest drop I saw was to skip the O2 altogether and just finish the deco out on 50%. Lower CNS, lower OTU and only a couple of extra minutes hang time.

Fair enough. I think we can all agree that the CNS and OTU are pretty crazy either way :p

I'm not really hearing any reason not to let the stage reg hang down other than "it looks better" though

Was that also what you were referring to when you asked me if I'd ever considered "tidying my regs up" Ian, or was that something else?

Tortuga68: Ever consider tidying your regs up?:wink:

Last edited:
Thank you for the information. I will have feedback for you shortly (proposed setup, or eating my words...)

I assume the following? Please correct me if I am way of target?

Bottom gas 12/60 I will use 160 cu ft. I will carry 300 cu ft.
First Deco gas 21/35 I will use 60 cu ft. I will carry 80 cu ft. Switch around 200ft?
Next Deco gas will be 50/25 and I will use 40 cu ft. and carry 80 cu ft.Switch around 70ft
Last will be O2 I will need 33 cu ft. and carry 52 cu ft. Switch at 20ft

I assume you have all aluminium config

Backgas Steel PST 130's
21/35 Luxfer AL80
50/25 Luxfer AL80
O2 Steel 46 @3000 PSI
Suit Gas AL6

Not going to do the math to figure the weight of all that gas but even with all the He. it's around 35 LBS. of gas.

Do you guys reckon you could conduct your trimix argument somewhere else? This is the thread for bashing me about deep air, bungeed redundant wings, trolling and other related foolishness. Thanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom