85m air dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One poster appears to be under the impression that "normoxic" is not trimix, but rather it's own special gas. Refer to the conversation quoted below for perspective on your question:

You do insist on injecting sanity into this thread, don't you? :)

You do insist on injecting sanity into this thread, don't you? :)

I try to keep things mostly balanced and point out things that may not be obvious to some of the recreational divers following along in threads like this. Personally, I don't care how someone chooses to dive as long as they understand the why of diving that way.

There is more things to take into consideration when doing deep air dives than just strapping on a couple of extra tanks and going for it.

There is more to Trimix than adding some helium.

It's not rocket surgery, but for many, they don't know what they don't know and what they don't know can kill them.

Personally, I'm not as concerned about those that know better and run off and do something and get themselves killed. It may sound harsh, but IMO, if you ignore the "rules" and you get hurt, you got what you had coming to you. The same goes for me if I go off and do something stupid, and believe me I've done my share of stupid things.

My real concern is for the average diver, who doesn't know any better then stumbles on a thread that has a few people advocating bad practices unopposed. Or, with opposition that just slams them without clarification and it just comes across as bashing. Unless they see some solid reasoning and explanations, their takeaway from a thread like this is that it's no big deal to do a dive like this and they won't ask questions to fill in the voids because they don't want to get slammed for it. Instead, they'll quietly go off and do something stupid and get hurt or killed.

So yeah, I'm guilty of injecting sanity from time to time. :)

I try to keep things mostly balanced and point out things that may not be obvious to some of the recreational divers following along in threads like this. Personally, I don't care how someone chooses to dive as long as they understand the why of diving that way.

There is more things to take into consideration when doing deep air dives than just strapping on a couple of extra tanks and going for it.

There is more to Trimix than adding some helium.

It's not rocket surgery, but for many, they don't know what they don't know and what they don't know can kill them.

Personally, I'm not as concerned about those that know better and run off and do something and get themselves killed. It may sound harsh, but IMO, if you ignore the "rules" and you get hurt, you got what you had coming to you. The same goes for me if I go off and do something stupid, and believe me I've done my share of stupid things.

My real concern is for the average diver, who doesn't know any better then stumbles on a thread that has a few people advocating bad practices unopposed. Or, with opposition that just slams them without clarification and it just comes across as bashing. Unless they see some solid reasoning and explanations, their takeaway from a thread like this is that it's no big deal to do a dive like this and they won't ask questions to fill in the voids because they don't want to get slammed for it. Instead, they'll quietly go off and do something stupid and get hurt or killed.

So yeah, I'm guilty of injecting sanity from time to time. :)

:fear: Oops, he got all official! :sprint:

"It's not rocket surgery, . . . "
:spit:

:fear: Oops, he got all official! :sprint:

"It's not rocket surgery, . . . "
:spit:

Well, you asked... :idk:

"rocket surgery" is a long standing joke in the tech section. Someone couldn't decide it it should be brain surgery or rocket science, so...

Well, you asked... :idk:

"rocket surgery" is a long standing joke in the tech section. Someone couldn't decide it it should be brain surgery or rocket science, so...

:hm: I'd argue for the "brain science", 'cause one must actually think to dive deco. :)

I'm pretty sure it is a long standing joke in a lot of other places too :wink: Like the rest of the internet, and also every job I've had, and so on.

I'm pretty sure it is a long standing joke in a lot of other places too :wink: Like the rest of the internet, and also every job I've had, and so on.

Apparently I don't get out as much as you. :)

Apparently I don't get out as much as you. :)

Actually you probably get out a lot more, hence you not realising it is all over the net :wink:

:hm: I'd argue for the "brain science", 'cause one must actually think to dive deco. :)

Rocket Surgery blends so much nicer with Nickel Rocket though.

Actually you probably get out a lot more, hence you not realising it is all over the net :wink:

Well it had to start somewhere...

Back
Top Bottom