809 feet?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pardon. Failed posting, see next.

Guinness doesn't recognize these records anymore. Neither does just about anyone else.
Sorry you don't seem to care about the truth.
What Guinness did was stop reporting deep air records, not all scuba diving records.

Michael Menduno published an article a couple years ago reporting on the theory that a men's deep dive record was achieved by cheating. It went into great detail on how that cheating could have been done. What I got out of it was that not only was the record accepted by Guinness, they supervised the attempt and built in safeguards to prevent such cheating. You can't just write to Guinness and tell them you broke the record.

Michael Menduno published an article a couple years ago reporting on the theory that a men's deep dive record was achieved by cheating. It went into great detail on how that cheating could have been done. What I got out of it was that not only was the record accepted by Guinness, they supervised the attempt and built in safeguards to prevent such cheating. You can't just write to Guinness and tell them you broke the record.
I have never read it, but are you saying M2's article / theory was incorrect then? Dont suppose you recall / care to devulge the diver invloved in the record in question? I dont seem to recall (no surprise there though :mad:) a depth 'record' that was seriously called into question, but then I've never cared much for records or followed them either.

However, even if M2 was incorrect, it would'nt be the first time someone cheated / faked a dive to set a record, or claim a 'first', thats for sure!

But on the other hand, while a letter might not do, a Guinness representitive does not / is not present on every record set that they recognise.

I have never read it, but are you saying M2's article / theory was incorrect then? Dont suppose you recall / care to devulge the diver invloved in the record in question? I dont seem to recall (no surprise there though :mad:) a depth 'record' that was seriously called into question, but then I've never cared much for records or followed them either.

However, even if M2 was incorrect, it would'nt be the first time someone cheated / faked a dive to set a record, or claim a 'first', thats for sure!

But on the other hand, while a letter might not do, a Guinness representitive does not / is not present on every record set that they recognise.
I made no judgement on the article--I just mentioned it because of the belief expressed in this thread that Guinness does not record scuba depth records. The article described their efforts to verify the legitimacy of the record, clearly indicating that they do indeed recognize those records.

Back
Top Bottom