8" Ikelite Dome with slight movement. Is that normal?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hidroj

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hy to everyone!
I just got my 8" Dome Port for a DSLRCamera (Nikon D70), fixed it on the housing and made the first test, that's the housing+port without camera in the bathtube. Everything's right, no water inside the housing. Now I'm thinking about testing it in a swimmingpool, at a depth of 2-3 meters. BUT, and that's the question, while cleaning the housing I noticed that when I press slightly on the sides of the dome I feel the complete Dome moving (or balancing) a little bit backwards at the side I press (backwards to the housing). I suppose I'm compressing the O-Ring, but what will happen if I'm 20 o 30 or 40metres underwater? Is that normal? As you see I'm new to underwater photography and proportionally scared of flooding my equipment.
Any answer to this, I hope, absurd question? Thank's to everyone!
Hidroj

I hate to make a judgement withoutout actually seeing and feeling it with my own eyes but I think - if I understand you right - (disclaimer, disclaimer) what you are talking about is normal. There is a slight play in the ports and with that big ol' dome it is probably more pronounced. You are likely compressing the o-ring like you said. If you take it underwater that will tighten up. Checking it in the pool is a good idea.

Thank you very much, Mike! It's like you say, a slight play. I'm going to check it at the pool now! :)

Hidroj

My six inch dome does that, too. It appears to be normal. Remember, as you go to depth, the pressure tightens everything up.

Jeff

Yep, a bit of play is normal.

All the best, James

(....and some hours later....)

At the pool everything was ok! Great! The next stage on saturday, into the sea. First a dive without the camera and afterwards the real one! I'm really excited, it's like beeing again a kid with new shoes.
Thank you very much to everyone!
Hidroj
:)))

...do you mean your first dive is with the housing (without a camera inside), to do a leak check at depth?

If so, all it takes is a couple of lead weights and a rope. You can dunk it before the first dive, and if it passes and you're quick, take the camera on your first dive.

Or, if you have a bridge in the area, do it before the weekend.

All the best, James

My first test of the housing and camera was a stop at 20 ftsw to check everything out, then to 90 ftsw taking pictures. The first test with the 8" dome was in Palau on the surface between dives for a few quick over and under shots then thru the Blue Holes. The housing is mine but the camera belongs to the wife!:D

So R people here suggesting that with a DSLR housing one should dive the housing without the camera inside?

I was just planning on a leak test, and then into the ocean with camera, lens, and the kitchen sink (that would be my flash :D ).

I'll discuss this with Reef photo before diving, but I'm curious what people's thoughts are? I was under the impression that if it don't leak in the pool or rinse bucket, then it's good to go...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom